Fruit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J311gonzo

Reaction score
Sooooooo Ive got a wheat beer fermenting... I'm racking it onto razzberries today. My question is should I gentally crush the razzberries or just put them in the carboy whole?

Maybe soak them with some white rum or vodka for a day or so, then add them slightly crushed. You don't want to risk infection from anything that might be living on them.

I racked 1 gallon of an IPA batch onto 1# of frozen Trader Joe's whole raspberries. It sat in secondary for 10 days and I have to say it turned into a raspberry IPA rather then my goal of an IPA with a hint of raspberry. The racking kicked up another short round of fermentation after racking. IMO the advice I had read about 1# to 1 gallon was WAY too much flavor for my tastes. Either way I can say that whole raspberries worked like a champ ... just don't forget to leave some extra head room in the secondary or put in a well secured blow-off tube incase fermentation kicks off again!

In response to the post that just beat me ... I did not do anything to the raspberries as my IPA was pushing 8.5% - just felt that between the alcohol and a well established yeast heavy environment chances of infection were pretty low. JM2C

Back