Fruit press help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatonRW

Reaction score
I acquired this fruit press a little while back and was wondering how to clean it up to use it or if i could sand it down and paint it to use it.

2013-07-05 20.05.50.jpg

Awesome press!

That looks like cast iron. If so, treat it like a cast iron skillet. Never use soap. Salt works great as an abrasive, if it is needed. cleaning is best when the cast iron is hot. I use water & paper towels on hot cast iron and wipe using a pair of tongs to hold the paper towels (keeps finger from burning). Always clean immediately after use.

that works for the rust? I'll have to try the heat and salt. I was actually thinking of sandblasting it a little bit ago I'm kinda in a hurry to get it done since I want to use it within the next week to press some apples for a cider.

that works for the rust? I'll have to try the heat and salt. I was actually thinking of sandblasting it a little bit ago I'm kinda in a hurry to get it done since I want to use it within the next week to press some apples for a cider.

I've used power grinders with wire wheels, but you have to season the bare metal again. I do that with flaxseed oil and heat (oven or campfire). Quality lard works as well. Didn't know if you wanted to go that far with it or had the room for such a large item. After you clean it to put it away for the season, lightly oil it with a paper towel to protect it until the next use. Check out the seasoning link below:

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

BTW, the basket does not look like cast iron; I would just give that a great scrubbing with soap and hot water. I use a mesh bag (like for hops or grains) to help filter the juice when pressing fruit. You will be blown away by how great the juice is!

Here is a pic of mine -- which also triples as a sausage press and lard press.

lardpress.jpg

LardPress1-1.jpg

Ok thanks a lot guys I think I'll try the electrolysis looks fairly simple and i have the perfect charger for the job.

Ok thanks a lot guys I think I'll try the electrolysis looks fairly simple and i have the perfect charger for the job.

Just remember it produces hydrogen gas, do it in an open area and don't smoke around it or big boom. I restore cast iron pots and pans to sell on flea bay and that's how I clean them. I have a blast cabinet and this does better. If its heavily pitted it won't fix that but it will remove the rust without damaging any good metal under it.

I sanded a lot of it down today was trying to do it that way too much work that's why I posted on here trying to find an easier way and it is heavily pitted.

Well it'll clean it but it can't replace metal that's gone, neither will sandpaper or wire brush. This just requires less manual labor.

Back