Fruit press for BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk0

Reaction score
Has anybody tried using a fruit press to squeeze the bag doing BIAB? Right now I squeeze the crap out of it using a panini press (looks like a heavy steel trowel) but it's a pain.

Anybody have a favorite press to recommend? The tabletop ones look too small--I think I'd probably need a 12 inch diameter.

Was looking at this but it's pricey:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mini-press.html

Save your money and do what I do.

2012-06-031253.jpg

Good idea!! I think my bag might be too big though...12-14lbs grain (like 25-30lbs wet)?

I do this for all brews, even 14 pounders (Only have an 8 gallon pot), though they do cut it close to the edge sometimes. That pic is from yesterdays 8.8lb Surly Bitter clone.

I did 12lbs yesterday with a 5 gallon pot. Yes I desperately need a bigger kettle. :)

That's an oven rack right? Not a baking rack? Thanks for the tip, I will be doing this next time!

Some say you should only squeeze slightly, or there will be excess tannins.

I give a light squeeze myself. Just remember, if it works and makes beer you like, then don't fix whats not broke I always say....

And I'd say that press would be way overkill, and expensive.... unless you plan on making wine or cider.

Some say you should only squeeze slightly, or there will be excess tannins.

Which means others say squeeze the crap out of it and don't worry.

I've done both with no noticable difference. My method is to apply moderate pressure to the lid but not over squeeze. I'll then leave it in a roasting pan for a few minutes to collect any excess. I generally lose much less than half a gallon of wort to the grains and have noticed no tannins.

Back