fruit juice in primary and saving yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
I have a sour blonde that is about 7 months in and was going to rack to a secondary so i could harvest the yeast/bug blend before adding some tart cherry juice concentrate. but i shattered my only other glass carboy last week and don't want to use a plastic FV.
Is there any reason that I can't add the tart cherry juice to the primary and harvest the yeast in about 3-4 months when its ready to bottle? basically wondering if tart cherry juice will do anything negative to my yeast and bug health
my next sour will be a flanders with this blend.

obviously getting another carboy is the best answer so i can get the flanders going but glass carboys are hard to come by down here.

I have a sour blonde that is about 7 months in and was going to rack to a secondary so i could harvest the yeast/bug blend before adding some tart cherry juice concentrate. but i shattered my only other glass carboy last week and don't want to use a plastic FV.
Is there any reason that I can't add the tart cherry juice to the primary and harvest the yeast in about 3-4 months when its ready to bottle? basically wondering if tart cherry juice will do anything negative to my yeast and bug health
my next sour will be a flanders with this blend.

obviously getting another carboy is the best answer so i can get the flanders going but glass carboys are hard to come by down here.

why would tart cherry juice do anything to the bugs that survive in much harsher environment? (and thrive on it!)
You will be fine.
By the way, many people use PET plastic containers like better bottle for their sours - in fact it could be even better than glass because of some negligibly small but finite oxygen permeability.

Back