fruit juice for a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morky92

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a juice in place of wort for a yeast starter. I'm doing a cider and was just wondering if it would make any difference.

For a cider I don't see any reason why not. For beers I would say no because of the lack of complex carbohydrates in juice, but if you're going to be fermenting straight aj then I'd say it's fine

You think just treat it the same? Start a day ahead? Similar amount of juice as wort? Does a cider even need a starter? Using safale-05.

For cider I haven't needed a starter with Nottingham or 05 and I don't notice much difference in pitching it directly vs pitching on the previous cider's yeast cake (which I often do). The sugars are very ferment-able compared to beer wort, and either one will drive it all the way down to dry, but I also don't get much of krausen or air-lock activity like I get with beer.

Back