Fruit in mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatsFan1985

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am planning on making a blueberry wheat this week. I've read numerous sites, some saying to put the blueberries in the mash, others only in the end of the boil, others not until the secondary. I am currently planning on putting about 4 pounds of fresh blueberries into the mash. Then when the beer gets to the secondary putting another pound in and bottling after a week.

Is it a good idea to mash with the blueberries? I have heard of this before but there's so many conflicting opinions online.

My recipe:
6# 2 Row
4# White Wheat
1# Flaked Wheat
2oz Amarillo Hop Pellets
WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
5# Fresh Blueberries (4 in mash, 1 in secondary)

Thanks!

From what i've read you get more flavor by using fruit in the secondary. That's what i've done in the past and had good results.

I would make the beer as usual, and once it's done fermenting rack the beer on top of the blueberries. Freeze them first then thaw right before adding the beer to extract more of the juices. You can also steep them in ~160 degree water for about 10-15min to help kill any bacteria.

I agree with Gritsak. Don't mash the blueberries. I'd be willing to bet all you would get doing that is the sugars and not much of the blueberry flavor that you seek.

If you mash the blueberries, be SURE to use some pectic enzyme, or your beer will be forever hazy.

I would go with blueberries in secondary. As a meadmaker, I've seen more success stories with blueberry meads that used a fair amount of DRIED blueberries as opposed to fresh.

I would also suggest putting them in the secondary. You will lose almost all of the flavor by putting them in the mash. Another thing you may want to take into consideration is the staining of your Mash Tun. I have a buddy who put blueberries, strawberries and blackberries in a mash and he now has a purple tinged cooler for a mash tun.

If you do put them in the secondary I would also suggest freezing them but I toss them in some vodka to kill any nasties.

Good luck!

Back