Frugal Brew Shed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toejam792

Reaction score
New Brew shed thread got me motivated to take some pictures. Here's my humble brewing abode. It's 10x18 inside and came with my house.

Western New York gets pretty cold in the winter and i was tired of my sink having ice crystals in it when I was brewing so I decided to get a heater. well a heater in a uninsluated garage isn't that effective so I decided to renovate.

I insulated it and finished the inside with pallet wood. There is a pallet manufacture around the corner form me and if they have pieces they cant use they set them by the road, like a 4'x4'x4' pallet of pallet wood for free. I was going to poor a concrete floor but I am a carpenter and we had left over material so I put in a plywood floor with vct over it, you cant beat free.:rockin: I built the top for my brew table and my exhaust hood from the pallet wood too. My grain shelving supports came from over ordering materials for mall display shelving. The shelves are from church doors that were going to go in the dumpster. My sink I got from craigslist for $100.

Things I really like: putting outlets every where. you have to realize that you can only draw so much at one time but it's so nice, i think I put 20 in there. Cathedral ceilings, Its so nice having all that open space. Also adequate lighting, I have 6 100w equivalent led bulbs in the ceiling, 2 led flood lights over kettles, cfl over sink, and a cfl over work bench, till I get cabinets with under-lighting. Collar keezer, I have a coffin keezer in my house but like the collar cause I don't have to move it to open. I made my exhausht hood out of pallet wood for the sides and ply wood for the top and have a 6" vortex fan over the bk. The stainless ones are nice but I wouldn't hesitate to build one out of plywood, caulk the joints and paint the inside with hi gloss exterior paint. Insulating, it was the majorty of the shed cost, but I can turn on 1500w electric heater on night before brew day and its low 60s in brew shed when 10 deg outside. 20000btu propane heater, to kick heat it up fast when forgetting to put electric heater on. I have a tv for my Bills games and a projector for playing some super mario bros when cursing the Bills with our 20 year playoff drought. I like my shelf over projector screen cover, it happened because I bumped out a wall to hide garage door track, if next owners want garage back, and for projector screen but totally nice to put nick nacks on.

Things I wish I did: running a 50a sub panel, now I have a 20a direct bury romex to feed the shed and use a 30 amp rv cord for brewing so its exposed on top of my grass unless I wind it up. Also I would have a Frost-Proof Yard Hydrant feeding pipes that are drainable. I'd run a cat6 cable for internet too. I forgot to put one in the trench and now have to suffer with a wifi range extender. I would run a coaxal cable while your at it for tv I just use an antenna but you might want cable out there.

IMG_20171009_181750769.jpg

IMG_20171009_181831792.jpg

IMG_20171009_182531931.jpg

IMG_20171009_182017414.jpg

IMG_20171009_182005537.jpg

IMG_20171009_182424449.jpg

Thanks, The pallet walls with cathedral ceiling are my favorite part. I wish I made this sooner, it's so nice how easy brewing is now.

Back