Frozen Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
So, I usually use dry yeast, but recently got one of those Wyeast liquid vials. When it arrived, without thinking I tossed ti in the freezer (since I didn't plan to use it for a few days). Now, it just dawned on me that freezing it may not be a great idea. I looked on the label and it did not say "do not freeze" but I figured I'd ask here to make sure.

If I have to go get another vial, no biggie, just would rather know now before I pitch it and get no reaction.

Thanks!

Edit: And in case it matters (sinc eit probably does) this is a vial of sweet mead yeast.

You may have damaged it beyond repair, but I'd go ahead and make a starter and see if it comes back to life. In theory, only one yeast cell could live and still ferment a batch eventually.

you will select for mutants that are ice crystal resistant - this may not necessarily be exactly the yeast that you were looking for.

If this is a fairly new thing to you I would recommed to save yourself any grief maybe buy a new pack.

It can take a few days (even on a stirplate) to get action out of damaged yeasties. As a science experiment I'd let that starter hang out for a while and see what happens.

I've read that, in short, once you damage a yeast culture, that damage follows it around for the rest of its existence, if that makes sense. In other words, if you weaken the culture, it will remain weak. This could be jive, but the article seemed fairly reputable.

Back