Frozen Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enobale

Reaction score
Yesterday I received 4 packs of yeast from an online homebrew shop that will remain nameless. When I got the yeast it was frozen. One of the yeast packs was a solid block of frozen yeast. It was an White Labs Irish Ale yeast. The other three were frozen/slushy feeling.

My question is what should I do? Should I make a starter, see if I get activity and press on, or should I just toss the yeast and get some new non-frozen yeast from another source? Sadly my LHBS that I get my supplies from is 'closed' until March.

The company has already agreed to credit my account for the frozen yeast, so I'm happy with that.

Aaron

They should be fine if you make a starter. Keep them frozen and thaw immediately before use. Have a backup plan just in case but i think you'll be fine.

They should be fine if you make a starter. Keep them frozen and thaw immediately before use. Have a backup plan just in case but i think you'll be fine.

Thanks schematix! I'm going to just give it a shot.

:mug:

According to Wyeast one freeze thaw cycle may reduce viability up to 10%.

Really? I never knew that.

If that's true, freezing a smack pack is much better than leaving it in the fridge for a month (23% vitality loss). Wouldn't we all be better off deep freezing our yeast then without toying with special additives (10% glycerine)? Should the LHBSs do the same to prevent expiring inventory?

Last edited:
Really? I never knew that.

If that's true, freezing a smack pack is much better than leaving it in the fridge for a month (23% vitality loss). Wouldn't we all be better off deep freezing our yeast then without toying with special additives (10% glycerine)? Should the LHBSs do the same to prevent expiring inventory?

The 10% loss mentioned by Wyeast was a response to a short weather related event than long term storage. Long term storage would have a more detrimental effect if I remember some of my reading correctly.

The 10% loss mentioned by Wyeast was a response to a short weather related event than long term storage. Long term storage would have a more detrimental effect if I remember some of my reading correctly.

Is it plausible? Since they overhauled the site, I can't find crap there anymore.

I understood the actual freezing process itself causes most harm to the yeast cells, not the duration of storage, as long as it remains frozen. When freezing, slower and steady is better than fast, and even a few shakes meanwhile to keep the liquid homogenized is recommended. Glycerine as an additive (10%) helps forming ice crystals from bursting the yeast cells.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear how the starters are coming along. It would be a nice data point for others too.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that a solid freeze, whether one cycle or 20, would kill most if not all the yeast.

OP, since the online store is going to replace the yeast, make a starter and see what happens. But don't count on the frozen yeast for a particular brew day. You might have to do a stepped starter to get to enough for a brew.

This is what Wyeast has to say about frozen yeast in their new FAQ.

"18. What should you do if the yeast is frozen?
Thaw out in fridge. Activate and assess the time that it takes to swell. If there is no activation within 24 hrs, do not use. If there is activation, make a starter to revive culture."

Edit: This isn't about freezing yeast for storage. More for an accidental freeze such as in shipping or cold spot in the refrigerator.

This is what Wyeast has to say about frozen yeast in their new FAQ.

"18. What should you do if the yeast is frozen?
Thaw out in fridge. Activate and assess the time that it takes to swell. If there is no activation within 24 hrs, do not use. If there is activation, make a starter to revive culture."

Edit: This isn't about freezing yeast for storage. More for an accidental freeze such as in shipping or cold spot in the refrigerator.

Looks like they have no more claims on vitality percentage. It works or it doesn't. And I don't think it's 50/50.

The actual freezing process has a lot to do with how the yeast survives.

As a general rule of thumb, don't order yeast during the extreme seasons, wait for more moderate temps on the whole shipping route.

Looks like they have no more claims on vitality percentage. It works or it doesn't. And I don't think it's 50/50.

The actual freezing process has a lot to do with how the yeast survives.

As a general rule of thumb, don't order yeast during the extreme seasons, wait for more moderate temps on the whole shipping route.

This is a great general rule of thumb. However I think it wouldn't have been frozen if the online retailer didn't put a cold pack in the package of yeast. :(

This is a great general rule of thumb. However I think it wouldn't have been frozen if the online realtor didn't put a cold pack in the package of yeast. :(

Realtor?

The cold packs are used to protect the yeast from getting too warm, which indeed makes little sense in the winter. But realize, Friday it was 74F here in the Mid-Atlantic. How about Florida? SoCal? A UPS or USPS truck in the sun could get hot even in Winter.

My argument against ice packs has always been, especially in the Summer, they're most likely melted already by the time the truck leaves the loading dock at the supplier.

If there's some benefit to be assigned to the ice packs, they act as much as a temperature buffer as they do keeping it cool. They won't freeze the yeast, unless you include 4 or 6 with one pack of yeast in a small box.

Since we don't know the temps the package might endure during transit, stay safe and order yeast during more temperate seasons.

Pretty nice your supplier covered the damage, and chances are you may still end up with viable yeast. I hope you thanked them.

Realtor?

The cold packs are used to protect the yeast from getting too warm, which indeed makes little sense in the winter. But realize, Friday it was 74F here in the Mid-Atlantic. How about Florida? SoCal? A UPS or USPS truck in the sun could get hot even in Winter.

My argument against ice packs has always been, especially in the Summer, they're most likely melted already by the time the truck leaves the loading dock at the supplier.

If there's some benefit to be assigned to the ice packs, they act as much as a temperature buffer as they do keeping it cool. They won't freeze the yeast, unless you include 4 or 6 with one pack of yeast in a small box.

Since we don't know the temps the package might endure during transit, stay safe and order yeast during more temperate seasons.

Pretty nice your supplier covered the damage, and chances are you may still end up with viable yeast. I hope you thanked them.

I went to an open house earlier today so I had realtor on the brain :)

Yes I thanked the person for giving me a credit for the yeast. I'm going to try to use the yeast and hope for the best.

I forgot to ask, don't you have a local source (LHBS) to buy yeast from? I prefer that, even bring a small cooler with an ice pack in it, and don't get lost in HD or HF on the way back. ;)

But I also have bought yeast that was shipped, alas, during moderate temps, early Spring and Fall, without any problems. Many of us do, and although something could go wrong, just try to improve the odds.

I went to an open house earlier today so I had realtor on the brain :)

She must have made quite some impression! :D

I'm going to try to use the yeast and hope for the best.

Yeah, get those going already, the yeast is not getting better or younger sitting in the fridge. Besides, we are curious!

If anything, perhaps start with a reduced gravity starter, 1.015-1.020, first. The sugar shock will be less. Then ramp up to full bore on the 2nd stage.

I forgot to ask, don't you have a local source (LHBS) to buy yeast from? I prefer that, even bring a small cooler with an ice pack in it, and don't get lost in HD or HF on the way back. ;)

But I also have bought yeast that was shipped, alas, during moderate temps, early Spring and Fall, without any problems. Many of us do, and although something could go wrong, just try to improve the odds.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes we do have a LHBS, but the person I typically purchase from is out of town until the end of March. In the future I will just travel to another LHBS and get the liquid yeast from them during the colder months. Lesson learned.

I made a starter from the Irish Yeast (the yeast that was frozen) and had signs of activity in the erlenmeyer flask.

I brewed up the beer yesterday and as of this morning the airlock is already showing signs of fermentation! So far so good! :mug:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes we do have a LHBS, but the person I typically purchase from is out of town until the end of March. In the future I will just travel to another LHBS and get the liquid yeast from them during the colder months. Lesson learned.

I made a starter from the Irish Yeast (the yeast that was frozen) and had signs of activity in the erlenmeyer flask.

I brewed up the beer yesterday and as of this morning the airlock is already showing signs of fermentation! So far so good! :mug:

Good to hear she's working!

Not just the colder months, the hot summer months are even more of a killer for yeast. Hot UPS/USPS/FEDEX trucks, some parked over the weekend. If there are extreme temps forecasted on the shipping route, hold off, or shop local if you can.

Back