Frozen CO2 tank on new fill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duanestorey

Reaction score
Newbie question here:

I just bought a new 10# CO2 tank from a reputable shop and took it down to be filled. They did it on the spot and gave it to me, and it was covered in ice/frost, which they said was normal after filling.

I assumed it would melt away pretty quick, but it's been almost an hour and it's still covered in the frost. I sprayed a little hot water on it which melted some of it, but then it froze again in about a minute. It's the whole tank and not just around the fitting, so I don't think it's leaking.

Does anyone know how long it should take for all the frost to disappear so I can actually hook it up to my beer?

Thanks.

There's frost/ice in the threading too. Should I just spray that with hot water until it melts then hook the regulator up?

Wait. How long has it been ice encrusted and in what temperature is it sitting. if it is covered in ice and after heating it up it ices back over again you may have a leak. It should not be too cold after filling as it will be cooled by them putting CO2 in it and then purging then filled with liquid CO2 which shouldn't change pressure much. Has it warmed up and deiced in the past hour?

Back