Frozen Beer :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clayton79

Reaction score
Um, Got a question..I bought a Fridge that I was going to turn into a Kegerator.
I put in 2 Kegs of beer (had no other place for em and I wanted them cold.
Anyway..it FROZE them. :/
What I need to know..will the BEER still be ok after it thaws out?
One was an Amber and the the other was a Red Ale.
I put both of them in another fridge (that works ok) to slowly thaw out.

(AND NO I will NOT send them to anyone to "check" them out. :)

THanks

Clayton79

Clayton79 said:
Um, Got a question..I bought a Fridge that I was going to turn into a Kegerator.
I put in 2 Kegs of beer (had no other place for em and I wanted them cold.
Anyway..it FROZE them. :/
What I need to know..will the BEER still be ok after it thaws out?
One was an Amber and the the other was a Red Ale.
I put both of them in another fridge (that works ok) to slowly thaw out.

(AND NO I will NOT send them to anyone to "check" them out. :)

THanks

Clayton79

In college, we had a guy that lived on our dorm floor. One night, I came home from a late night to find him in the Microwave room. I stopped by to say Hi. He was wasted...had lost his "drunk legs" and looked like a landlubber on a pirate ship. He had apparently came home, wanted another beer and found his last canwas frozen, so he was microwaving it. It was closed. It was a can. I got him out of there safely, and unfortunatly we didn't see the can explode.

This story doesn't answer your question. I know that. Your question just reminded me of that night.

Cheesefood said:
In college, we had a guy that lived on our dorm floor. One night, I came home from a late night to find him in the Microwave room. I stopped by to say Hi. He was wasted...had lost his "drunk legs" and looked like a landlubber on a pirate ship. He had apparently came home, wanted another beer and found his last canwas frozen, so he was microwaving it. It was closed. It was a can. I got him out of there safely, and unfortunatly we didn't see the can explode.

This story doesn't answer your question. I know that. Your question just reminded me of that night.

(I've now picked myself up off the floor)

That's one of the funniest things I've read in a long time Cheese. :rockin:

And to answer your question Clayton. I really don't know. Tap 'em. See what the hell shakes out. They could be just fine.

So the old standard applies. RDWHAHB.

Ize

It will be fine I bet, as long as you don't plan on bottle conditioning them (most of the yeast will probably be out of action...)

I had a stout freeze earlier this year - when it thawed, somehow a lot of stuff fell out of suspension and settled to the bottom. So, I got 2 or 3 glasses of REALLY dark stuff before I figured out what was going on. Ruined the rest of the beer as it turned out really weak. My advice is to shake the keg vigorously after it thaws, just to be safe, then rechill it.

Yes, the beer will be fine. There is a possibility that your kegs are damaged, so let them thaw in a basin or the bathtub. I've seen kegs split top to bottom from freezing.

alemonkey said:
I had a stout freeze earlier this year - when it thawed, somehow a lot of stuff fell out of suspension and settled to the bottom. So, I got 2 or 3 glasses of REALLY dark stuff before I figured out what was going on. Ruined the rest of the beer as it turned out really weak. My advice is to shake the keg vigorously after it thaws, just to be safe, then rechill it.
WOOOHOOO!!! ICE FILTERED!!! THAT'S HOW THEY GET THAT CRAP TO TASTE SO WATERY AND FRESH!!! Just freeze and filter off all the goodness so you can sell the rest of it with some crazy marketing scheme!!! BRILLIANT!!! *rolls eyes*

Back