Frozen beer, but still able to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesf35

Reaction score
I have this nifty reed bull cooler from a while back, it is a tall cylinder that I was hoping would only cool to the upper 40's so I could try a lager. But, it cools to 30F. So my primed beer, which was partly carbonated for 2 weeks and I couldn't wait any longer, froze. At least the ones by the blower diffuser.
Now my question.
If I take them out, will they still have the ability to carb back up a bit? How about the taste?
Right now they taste flat, but ok.
Mainly, will they oxidize after freezing?

Also, as you can tell I dont know what I am talking about. Basically I'm worried they will go bad fast if i take them out and let them sit in an attempt to recarb.
Thanks

No, freezing doesn't introduce oxygen, so don't worry about oxidation. They should be fine once they're thawed, as long as the freezing process didn't break the bottles.

The yeast might have gone dormant, so you might need to gently swirl them back into solution to carb the beer. Freezing will also break down some of the proteins in the beer, so they might taste a little different than the others, but will still be beer ;)

frozen water crystals, including the water present within the yeast cells, will burst the yeast's cell membranes. That's why you don't store yeast in your freezer. There may be some living yeast left in the bottles, but most of it will be dead, and the yeast that's left won't be in good shape.

I'd suggest that you add new yeast, just a teaspoon or so to the whole 5 gallon batch, and re-bottle.

Ok cool.
It was about 10 bottles, thankfully the rest didn't freeze, and I am hoping that the inner most liquid in the bottle didn't freeze. Based on what you are saying there might be some yeast left. I will drink these last (if oxidation shouldnt be a problem) and let you all know if it carbs up at all.

Back