Frozen Apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratters

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to make a cider soon but am in an interesting situation whereby I have all frozen whole apples. A friend and I drove around an area known to have wild roadside apples and collected about 50kg in one evening from 6 different trees, but agreed we were both too busy to do anything with them so they were dumped whole into a chest freezer, no peeling or cutting at all.

Normally I juice the apples for the cider but am unsure what to do with them now, any tips are greatly appreciated!

Those apples should be much easier to crush & press after thawing. Though I don't see why you couldn't juice them as you usually do, should be easier.
Regards, GF.

Charge it! Thaw and press. It may be easier after the cells walls are broken down from the freezing. It could have a special taste. Good luck.

Guess there is only one way to find out! I normally use a juicer which is incredibly labour intensive considering I like to make 25L at a time so this time around im looking to purchase a press, it should encourage me to do more ciders if anything.

BoomerCreek said:
Charge it! Thaw and press. It may be easier after the cells walls are broken down from the freezing. It could have a special taste. Good luck.

Ice (apple) wine anyone?

I have read about apple wine but what would the general process be? Do you normally begin with whole frozen apples?

Latest posts

Back