Frosty glass or straight from bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan0186

Reaction score
I was looking over my instruction for my first batch last night and noticed at the end that the recommend that you pour the beer from the bottle into a glass and try to leave any sediment that is in the bottom of the bottle in the bottle. I was wondering if ya'll stick to this rule or do you drink from the bottle. Personally I would rather drink straight from the bottle but I won't it the sediment is going to make it taste funny.

I was looking over my instruction for my first batch last night and noticed at the end that the recommend that you pour the beer from the bottle into a glass and try to leave any sediment that is in the bottom of the bottle in the bottle. I was wondering if ya'll stick to this rule or do you drink from the bottle. Personally I would rather drink straight from the bottle but I won't it the sediment is going to make it taste funny.

A lot of the time people leave the sediment in there because it might effect the flavor but more importantly until your body is used to drinking homebrew a lot of the sediment is active yeast which if you ingest it will cause you to be sitting on the throne for quite some time! Im not talking about your BA lazy boy throne either!:D

I never drink my home brew from a bottle... As soon as the pour is done I rinse the bottle and dry... I figure it's more sanitary this way...

Those things are pretty cool. If I were to use something like that would I need screw top bottles?

Along with flavor and aroma, drinking from a glass allows you to see the color and clarity of the beer. Furthermore, you also miss out on the head when you drink from the bottle.

While I share Queen Yooper’s disdain for a frozen glass, I keep mine in the ‘fridge. Just for the first glass, after that the glass is beer cooled. Otherwise the first pour foams up a bit much and is slightly flat.

It might not matter in Michigan, but I humbly suggest her Highness may find this a useful method in her forays into Texas.

you loose a lot of the beer flavor/aroma/and color when you drink out of the bottle. There may be a few styles that you can brew and it'd be just fine to drink it out of the bottle because it doesn't have much aroma, but other than that it's almost like you're wasting the beer.

While I share Queen Yooper’s disdain for a frozen glass, I keep mine in the ‘fridge. Just for the first glass, after that the glass is beer cooled. Otherwise the first pour foams up a bit much and is slightly flat.

It might not matter in Michigan, but I humbly suggest her Highness may find this a useful method in her forays into Texas.

LOL at "queen".

This year I might try a chilled glass, we'll see. In Texas, on days it's really hot and sunny, we tend to drink margaritas. Just squeezed lime, tequila, and a wee bit of triple sec over ice. We do that a lot when limes are 6 for $1 at HEB!

I do keep my kegerator cooler in Texas than in Michigan, though. The beer warms quicker, that's for sure!

Just squeezed lime, tequila, and a wee bit of triple sec over ice.

Ahhhhh the perfect hot weather drink!

I do keep some of my pint glasses in the keggorator. It just depends on the beer going in the glass as to where I pull my glass from. But NEVER from a bottle conditioned beer! I will swirl the tailing from my Belgians and down them like a shot though...

Cheers
Jay

Yooper said:
My answer to the queston "Frosty glass or straight from the bottle?" is neither.

I like a room temperature glass so I can taste the beer. Drinking from the bottle has its place, but it mutes the aroma so the beer actually tastes different out of the bottle vs a glass.

+1 Also, a frosty mug can lead to chunks of ice breaking off and diluting your beer.

The only time I'll drink HB straight from the bottle is if it's something like a hefe or wit, where it's ok to have yeast in suspension.

All my beer goes into a just cleaned room temp glass, I work too hard at making it to ruin with a crappy pour.

It seems I'm always requesting an un-frosted glass at most restaurants as well, they just don't get it!

Frosty glass? If it's a macrolager that I'd rather not taste, sure.

If anyone on this thread seriously is drinking all of their beer super cold, I challenge you to try taking a beer out of the fridge for, say, ten minutes or so before pouring it into a room temperature glass. You will notice more flavor and aroma from a beer served this way than you will from one kept super cold.

The reason, incidentally, for drinking from a glass and not from the bottle is that you can smell the beer so much more in a glass, which does enhance the perception of flavor.

Of course, it's your beer... drink it any way you like. But typically, yeah, craft beer is meant to be drank from a glass.

Is it me, or are these things REALLY expensive?

At $2.50 each and considering you we'll need fifty of them. Yes, they would be the single most expensive piece/use of equipment I would own if I used them.

BTW, why don't commercial craft breweries have sediment issues? Is it a matter of volume or do they not bottle fcarb? Or some third reason?

At $2.50 each and considering you we'll need fifty of them. Yes, they would be the single most expensive piece/use of equipment I would own if I used them.

BTW, why don't commercial craft breweries have sediment issues? Is it a matter of volume or do they not bottle ferment? Or some third reason?

Most comercial breweries force carb thier beers in "bright tanks" similar to how we force carb in kegs.
Although those gizmos to get rid of sediment in homebrew bottles are a cool idea, I consider them to be totally impractical cost wise.

A local pizza place has earned the nickname Hoth since it seems that is where they store their pint glasses. At least they have $1.95 domestic pints every Monday!

A local pizza place has earned the nickname Hoth since it seems that is where they store their pint glasses. At least they have $1.95 domestic pints every Monday!

Well the best cure for that then would be order a beer and a glass of ice water. Pour water into mug, and back into cup it came in, wipe out with your napkin. Instant de-iced glassware. Plus, you know it is clean(er) too.

When I started brewing, I started to drink ALL my beers from a glass or mug. I have found that the aroma of the beer from the glass or mug truly enhances the taste. And I have discovered that most beers directly out of the 'frig are a bit too cold. Now, I just need to remember to take the beer out of the 'frig about twenty minutes before I pour it into a glass and drink it!

glenn514:mug:

I do frosty (from the freezer) glasses during the summer, using really thick walled glasses. This is only to give me a litte more time to drink the beer on hot days. When I'm just sipping and enjoying a cigar, the beer can literally get hot, not just warm. It's a trade off I guess. I'd rather have a few sips off of an ice cold beer up front, than have half my beer be pushing 80 degrees by the end.

Indoors or during cooler months I definitely don't mess with frosty mugs, but I still feel they have their place on hot summer days.

It seems I'm in the minority - I actually prefer my beers quite cold. I find I have a harder time drinking a warm Doppelbock than one that's nice and cold. The thick toffee and prune flavours are just too overpowering if it's allowed to warm up, whereas straight out of the fridge, it seems much more balanced.

I do frosty (from the freezer) glasses during the summer, using really thick walled glasses. This is only to give me a litte more time to drink the beer on hot days. When I'm just sipping and enjoying a cigar, the beer can literally get hot, not just warm. It's a trade off I guess. I'd rather have a few sips off of an ice cold beer up front, than have half my beer be pushing 80 degrees by the end.

Indoors or during cooler months I definitely don't mess with frosty mugs, but I still feel they have their place on hot summer days.

+1 The sun beating down on my patio can turn a glass of beer warm in about 5 minutes. We actually dance the glasses around the table to stay in the shade of our tropical plant on the patio table. A frosty mug gives you an extra 15 minutes, meaning I finish my pint generally when it is tasting the best, and that motivates me to get off my slug butt and grab another!

I think it was a Super Bowl party, 2 and a half years ago, when I last had a beer in a bottle. They are sooooo much better poured.

Slightly off-topic, but I tried a new pizza place a couple months ago and saw that they had Firestone Walker Union Jack on tap. I was pretty amazed when the bartender walked past the frosted glasses to get a room-temperature 27.5oz mug from the back for me. I was even more surprised when she only asked for $3. Isn't Happy Hour grand?

It seems I'm in the minority - I actually prefer my beers quite cold. I find I have a harder time drinking a warm Doppelbock than one that's nice and cold. The thick toffee and prune flavours are just too overpowering if it's allowed to warm up, whereas straight out of the fridge, it seems much more balanced.

I like mine cold too. And the suggest serving ales at 50-55 and 50 is a good 15 to 20 degrees below room temperature (i.e. cold) so *there*! (of course, 50-55 is a good 18 to 20 degrees above "ice-cold beer" too so....)

It's hard to argue against the taste numbing that coldness that chilling a beer does. I drink my beer slowly and I savoir it while it's in my mouth so I think makes up any taste loss. I think cold makes a better overall experience; more refreshing, cleaner tasting, etc.

But I'm not going to win any arguments with that.

And I like drinking out of a bottle but that might change. I actually don't like the head that much and try to avoid it. (Although a frothy head sure *looks* pretty.)

I agree 100%. I keep some glasses out at room temp and some I keep with my kegs at the same temp as my beer. They don't get frosty like the ones you get at sports beers serving BMC. They are the same temp as the beer so you don't get too much foam going from cold beer to warm glass.

Back