"Frost Brewed"??? WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I bring my beer down to 33F once, then up to 42F, back to 35F, down to 22F for 28 seconds, THEN I add my 4th set of hops (quadruple hops brewed, of course) all in the first 2 days of fermenting. This is then bottled only on ounce at a time to avoid drowning the yeast, and maintaining full aroma of the hops.

If you don't know what any of that means, trust me, it means my beer is better than everyone elses.

Signed,
Just another corporate beer marketer

I think the marketing firms for the breweries are being given way too much credit. Most people doing the advertising know very little about the product, and even less about how it is made. The guy the wrote "frost brewed" might not be able to tell you what a CL tastes like or if it even has hops. I'm just glad to see there is actually beer in beer commercials, while I did like the scantily clad bikini babes, the commercials were more about how much this beer can get you laid and less about how the beer tastes.

I think the marketing firms for the breweries are being given way too much credit. Most people doing the advertising know very little about the product, and even less about how it is made. The guy the wrote "frost brewed" might not be able to tell you what a CL tastes like or if it even has hops. I'm just glad to see there is actually beer in beer commercials, while I did like the scantily clad bikini babes, the commercials were more about how much this beer can get you laid and less about how the beer tastes.

I'd prefer how much it can get me laid, I'd be much more likely to drink it that way than them telling me it tastes good or is refreshing.

I find often times the more a company spends on marketing the lower quality their product is. BMC and fast food companies, for example, must spend millions every year to remind people why they buy their product. If it wasn't for their creative and witty ad schemes their product would have to sell itself, and we all know how successful that would be. You could almost go as far as to say it's a mild form of brainwashing. Repeatedly remind people that when they buy Coors light their getting the most refreshing beer in the world that's frost brewed and cold filtered and made with water fresh from the Rocky's and high country barley (whatever the hell that means) and when they crack open that bottle of carbonated piss their mind tells them their drinking the nectar of the gods.

On the flip side, I don't remember the last time I saw a Sierra Nevada, Stone or Deschutes commercial on TV, but maybe I'm watching the wrong channels.

Exactly!! In a nutshell when you buy a major label of pretty much anything, you are not buying the quality of the product. You are paying for a multi-million dollar advertising campaign for a product that is produced with THE cheapest ingredients or parts and produced as cheap as humanly possible.

I will drink a BMC if it is offered, but I would rarely ever buy it. And I hate how most beer drinkers out there think it's "real" beer, (I was asked by a friend of mine "why don't you ever brew real beer, like Bud?) but don't take away the commercials! C'mon, guys...before the whole "drinkablility" campain Bud Light had the funniest commercials on TV, maybe the funniest programming on TV. Plus, there's the boobies.......sorry, I got distracted. Anyway, the beer might suck, but I don't want to live in an America without BMC commercials.

I'd prefer how much it can get me laid, I'd be much more likely to drink it that way than them telling me it tastes good or is refreshing.

That's my point. It's smoke and mirrors. Distract the unwitting consumer with boobies and they won't notice that our barley/rice/corn water is crap. And if we put up enough billboards and run enough commercials then they won't even care there is better beer out there. They'll just imagine boobies as they pick up another case of our piss beer, and they won't like it but who cares. After a while all their friends will only drink our piss beer as well and it will become the hip and/or normal thing to drink our piss beer. The consumer will never even bother to try anything else or even wonder if there is beer that actually tastes good. Said consumer will continue to buy the same piss beer over and over and over and over and over because the consumer is happy drinking the same thing without variety because his tastebuds have become trained to think our piss beer is real beer and the only beer for him.

That's my point. It's smoke and mirrors. Distract the unwitting consumer with boobies and they won't notice that our barley/rice/corn water is crap. And if we put up enough billboards and run enough commercials then they won't even care there is better beer out there. They'll just imagine boobies as they pick up another case of our piss beer, and they won't like it but who cares. After a while all their friends will only drink our piss beer as well and it will become the hip and/or normal thing to drink our piss beer. The consumer will never even bother to try anything else or even wonder if there is beer that actually tastes good. Said consumer will continue to buy the same piss beer over and over and over and over and over because the consumer is happy drinking the same thing without variety because his tastebuds have become trained to think our piss beer is real beer and the only beer for him.

:off: Evan's Law

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups !

I am goiong to play the Devil's advocate here for a moment

But, without BMC, how many sporting events would not be what they are today ?
How many teams would not have a chance to play/drive/swin etc....?

Ok BMC may not be a great beer, but they have done many a good thing for sports, politics, and soldiers!

-Jason

:off: Evan's Law

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups !

I am goiong to play the Devil's advocate here for a moment

But, without BMC, how many sporting events would not be what they are today ?
How many teams would not have a chance to play/drive/swin etc....?

Ok BMC may not be a great beer, but they have done many a good thing for sports, politics, and soldiers!

-Jason

I'm not saying they don't make a great corporate sponsor. Hell, that just emphasizes my point a little more. They spend a ton (probably many many tons) of money every year on marketing, including sporting events that help promote their image but do nothing for the beer they sell. Does paying $2mil for a 30 second spot during the Super Bowl make your beer taste better, NO but it does get a poor unknowing fool to buy his buddies another round from the bartenders' diabetic horse.

Just to add some fuel to the fire!

One of my favorite bars does $1 domestic drafts and my friends don't like "dark beer". With the table loaded with beer(mostly coors light) I always sneak another light beer in. Taste tests show none of them notice and most of the time guess that coors light is something else.

Why do they drink coors? TV
Why do they not drink "dark beer"? TV

I find that so many people avoid home brew and micro brew! I can't understand, but I did out grow light beer, it gets old after 4-5years.

Why do most people on this site knock on BMC drinkers. I have never understood that. I love craft beer and enjoy brewing them, but I'll still drink budweiser till the day I die. Just curious?

Most people don't like flavorless beer.Or people that think BMC has a good flavor.It is refreshing.I like it better than soda.But I'll take a craft beer over it any time.

Why do most people on this site knock on BMC drinkers. I have never understood that. I love craft beer and enjoy brewing them, but I'll still drink budweiser till the day I die. Just curious?

Because we are idiots and have no idea what good beer tastes like.

Why do most people on this site knock on BMC drinkers.

Because BMC is truly terrible stuff. I'm sorry, but it's just not good. Somehow people have been convinced (through creative ad campaigns) that it's worth drinking. This thoroughly perplexes me. I loved that stuff back in my late teens/early twenty's, but at some point you've got to grow up and start drinking big boy beer. I just don't understand how anyone can drink even one craft beer and ever touch another BMC again. It's like eating a prime cut, aged ribeye at a five star steakhouse and then going back to eating bologna sandwiches. It's especially weird when homebrewers drink BMC, because you can brew your own quality beer at a price that's comparable to BMC. I mean no offense, I just don't understand why people touch that stuff when there's so many quality craft beers out there, not to mention the fact that you can brew your own good beer. Life's just too short for crappy beer, but that's just one mans opinion.

Well, "frost secondaried", or "frost fermented" don't have much of a ring to them. Gotta get beer into the mouths of the average american somehow. "Uhhh, frost brewed sounds cold and delicious, der der der."

Is today resurrection Wednesday? I think I have seen 3 or 4 in just a few hours...

As homebrewers we already look at beer in a different way. For us the beer is the event but for most people it's not about the beer it's about the socializing, the event etc and grabbing something not too expensive, easy to drink etc. is what concerns them. I still pickup a 30 pack of CL for our annual golf trip to Indio,CA since it's 107 and you're playing 36 holes it just goes down better.

It's the same for people who enjoy good wine or whiskey, they would rather drink water than the "house" wine or the well whiskey becaused the drink is the THING.

Latest posts

Back