From grain to glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletcher21

Reaction score
So I just had to take a moment to share my fascination with all grain brewing.

I've been brewing for a few years now but only been doing all grain for the last 4 batches. I always said I would still do extract batches when time was tight or just for the heck of it.

However I am so infatuated with the ability to go grain to glass I don't know if I will ever actually do a extract batch again. I have nothing against extract. I made some dam fine beers with it . I think for me it I would just feel disconnected with the full process now.

I'm interested in the thoughts and experiences of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 Cheers

"Because life's to short to drink ****ty beer, and life's to ****ty to short yourself on beer." - A wise friend

I still make extract batches from time to time. Though mostly I find them cost prohibitive compared to all grain. Otherwise the flavors of my extract batches is easily as good as my all grain batches. I enjoy the all grain process much more now that I have used the water chemistry primer.

If you pick up an extract kit to brew at some point it will seem almost too easy to make good beer, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

All grain is wonderful because you can really make a truly unique beer and really dial in a recipe over time. You can figure out which types of base malt or specialty malts complement different styles.

Plus the idea of making beer from malted barley is just pure excitement.

I'm in the same boat as you. I started all grain simply because I really wanted to brew an Oktoberfest and couldn't get Munich extract. So I brewed a 4 gallon batch because I couldn't mash more on my stovetop. I had no plans of going all grain. This batch was, as I looked at it, a necessary evil to brew what I wanted.

I've never used extract since. I have a couple of opened 3lb bags that I have used for starters, but that's it...

The great thing about kits and extract brewing is it a great way for people to get into brewing in the first place. I found them to be a gateway. For me, all grain all the way.
It's funny one day you nervously start out with a kit on the stove and the next thing you know you have a 10 gallon mashtun, kegerator and an entire room stacked up with beer making equipment.
I think that whether people are using extracts or all grain, the important thing is that they are making beer and should embrace whatever works for them.

All grain is wonderful because you can really make a truly unique beer and really dial in a recipe over time. You can figure out which types of base malt or specialty malts complement different styles.

Plus the idea of making beer from malted barley is just pure excitement.

This is the exact reason I got into all grain.

I just started to go all grain a few batches ago and there's a few great recipes I make with extracts that I plan to rebrew in the next weeks (already bought the ingredients).

I think I'll still do it in the future when I have less time to brew but will not develop any new recipes. But I like the versatility of all-grain. For example, I made a beer and wanted an English base malt that would be lighter in color than Maris Otter. Optic malt gave me what I wanted.

I agree totally. With extract, the focus is all on the boil and kettle. I have really enjoyed getting into the more technical aspects of the mash.
My friend wants to get started brewing and I am going to set him up to skip straight over extract to BIAB (which I have never used, but heard great things about).

I agree totally. With extract, the focus is all on the boil and kettle. I have really enjoyed getting into the more technical aspects of the mash.
My friend wants to get started brewing and I am going to set him up to skip straight over extract to BIAB (which I have never used, but heard great things about).

BIAB is a great way to get started. One of my first ever all grain batches was an English Ale that I did BIAB and while I didn't get great efficiency (due to learning the technique), it was outstanding.

I've been enjoying BIAB partial mashes for a couple of reasons.

A) I still don't quite get the whole water chemistry and mashing concept in it's entirety. So knowing I have hard water I can just use 1 or 2 gals of RO water along with filtered tap water to get close enough, and any mistakes are lessened a bit by the extract I add.

B) I don't care for adding chemicals and such. I like simple and natural.

C) I just don't have the room to do a large all-grain batch as I enjoy brewing inside.

So a partial mash still allows me to brew beers I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. It all began with Yooper's help with making a rye pale…

Maybe when we move to Austin I'll live near someone who wouldn't mind someone looking over their shoulder and asking several questions during an all-grain brew day...

Back