Friends Beer Tastes Like BANANAS.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSorenson

Reaction score
This is a curiosity to me. A friend of mine (second time brewer) made a Russian imperial stout using a kit and Nottingham Ale Yeast. He ended up calling it "Bananas Foster Stout" because it was banana-y. I was expecting some banana, but when I smelled it and then tried it... well it was as if I was drinking a banana with a little bit of stout in it. It wasn't even bad compared to some other beers on the market.

I have used Nottingham quite a bit, and I'm also very familiar with Hefeweizen yeast strains. I have had beers that have suffered from "yeast abuse" (i.e. under pitching, uncontrolled fermentation, etc) but I have never had anything this "bananas".

He was at 1.080 OG, pitched one pack (I believe rehydrated) and let it ride in his house through late spring.

Anyone else have this experience? I am more or less finding this out because he loved the effect.

He feremnted the stout a too high of a temperature. The area I'm guessing the fermentation took place in was too hot giving it banna flavor. Very popular amungst hefe brewers. I have had this happen with Nottingham yeast before. Put some strawberry extract flavoring in it and have Strawberry and Bannana Foster Stout

Hahaha, I suspected it might have been a combination of under pitching and temperature swings that got too high.

In either way, it was strangely not bad.

Back