Fridge Conversion: am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infantej

Reaction score
I just started taking the guts out of an old fridge. Low and behold the condensor and coils were in the space between the freezer section and the bottom. I did not cut anything but I am assuming there is no way to make this work anymore?

If not, should I just go out and by a chest freezer? Any specific recommendations?

Why not? I would assume if you, very carefully, bend them up or to the side you'd achieved what you were after.

There was a guy that took his mini fridge completely apart. I mean no more metal or foam. Just the compressor and tubing. I can't find it since the re- organization though.

It can be done, if you use great care. But once you hear a pop...

Lagering fridge.jpg

The wife gave me permission to convert our chest freezer so I am probably going to do that and scrap the fridge. A keezer seems so much simpler and it is big enough to get at least 7 kegs in there.

Edit: Now that I think about it. Since I ripped most of the guts out I bet I can just put the doors back on and have an effective fermentation chamber for lagering. There is no more insulation between the freezer and fridge section so it might work. Better than scrapping it.

Back