Friday the 13th Pumpkin Brew Nightmare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arazcamaro

Reaction score
I decided to brew a clone of Southern Tier's Pumpking this weekend and have the say this has been my worst brewing experience out of 19 batches.

Let me first start by saying this might be the last time I try brewing on Friday the 13th. This was a painful brewing experience! :mad: First it was late before I got started (9:00 PM) and I already knew it was going to be a late night. I hit my target mash temp spot on so I thought it was going to be smooth sailing. :mug: After 45 minutes, I open the valve on my mash tun to start my sparge and NOTHING comes out! :confused: My first stuck mash! Luckily I could still stir the grains so it wasn't too thick. I ended up having to dump the mash into a 6 gallon bucket and found that my manifold was completely stopped up. After cleaning it out and dumping my mash back into the mash tun, I was able to start my spage.

The sparage went well although I did undershoot my sparge water volume and ended up having to run a gallon of hot tap water through the grains to get my 6 gallon pre-boil volume.

I light the burner and notice that I have blue flames with the valve all the way open but don't hear the normal 'jet engine' sound. I figure it's all good and I'll get a boil soon. Fourty-Five minutes later my temp won't get over 200 degrees and I'm wondering if I'll ever get a boil. Jason (my next door neighbor and brew mate) asks if I have another burner that I can use, sure enough I have my Mother-In-Law's Safe-T-Burner in the garage. We delicately manage to get the kettle moved over to the new burner and have a roaring flame and a full boil within minutes. I thought we were in good shape from hear but about 5 minutes later, the burner shuts off. Appearantly the Safe-T-Burner has a safety feature that shuts off the flame if it thinks it's getting too hot. I have to wait two minutes before it will let me re-light the flame. The burner proceeds to do this every 5 minutes for the remainder of the boil.

After the herendously long boil, flame shut off, wait 2 minutes, boil cycle I end up with a final volume of 6 gallons post boil after the pumpkin was added. I will likely loose 1/2 gallon from trub but expect to end up with 5.5 gallons at bottling time and less hop utilization than desired. This might actually be a good thing since I found out that my LHBS gave me Centennial hops instead of the requested Sterling for my finish hops.

Jason expects that this will turn out as the best beer ever and we'll have no way of ever replicating it if it is. In any case, at least it's fermenting away nicely after I mistakingly left the yeast packet in the hot garage for a week. We'll see how this one goes with all the fumbles along the way. :confused:

My mash tun is a 5 gallon igloo cooler. The recipe was 14# of grain and I used 1 quart of water per pound which pretty much fills my tun to the brim.

Do you mind sharing your recipe? I would love to create a beer anywhere close to Pumpking. My pumpkin ales always seem to be lacking.

LOL, it will be the best ever.

I wouldn't be suprised. :D

Here is the original recipe I was shooting for. As mentioned above, my LBHS slipped me Centennial instead of Sterling for my finish hops which I didn't notice until brew day.

13# American 2 row (mashed)
1# American Crystal 60L (mashed)
0.5# Brown Sugar (boil)
4# Canned Pumpkin (cooked in oven @ 350 degress with about 2 tbs pumpkin pie spice and added during last 5 minutes of boil)
0.5 oz Magnum for 60 minutes
0.5 oz Sterling for 15 minutes
Dry Yeast (Windsor)

I may make a spice 'tea' at bottling and add some if I think it needs more spice flavor.

I've heard that many brewers like to add the pumpkin to the mash but my LBHS owner swears that you get more flavor by adding it to the boil.

I've heard that many brewers like to add the pumpkin to the mash but my LBHS owner swears that you get more flavor by adding it to the boil.

I've also found you get the same flavor by omitting the pumpkin alltogether, for what that's worth. Ulitimately you're your own judge after multpile iterations of the recipe.

Update: I decided to crack one of these open after only 5 days in the bottle to see how bad I had messed up the beer. This beer in AMAZING! It has an incredible complexity to it and it by far one of the best pumpkin beers I've ever had.

You've got to love home brew. Even when things don't go as you expect, you still end up with incredible beer!

Outstanding. I just might get the courage to do a pumpkin brew yet. I'm thinking maybe for Thanksgiving.

Based on the ingredients I can't see how this could be similar to Pumking. It might be great, mind you, but not Pumking.

I might be misremembering, but I think these are the exact same ingredients printed on the side of the Pumking bottle -- right down to the hop varieties. (Not including the brown sugar. And I think the Crystal 60 is only 'Crystal Malt' on the bottle.)

I took the ingredients listed on the side of the bottle and used tastybrew.com to play with the numbers until I got it where I wanted it. The bottle indicates the ABV to be 9% and my recipe only hits 7.9% I took a guess at the IBUs and 25-30 seemed about right. It's not identical but it is awesome.

I wouldn't be suprised. :D

Here is the original recipe I was shooting for. As mentioned above, my LBHS slipped me Centennial instead of Sterling for my finish hops which I didn't notice until brew day.

13# American 2 row (mashed)
1# American Crystal 60L (mashed)
0.5# Brown Sugar (boil)
4# Canned Pumpkin (cooked in oven @ 350 degress with about 2 tbs pumpkin pie spice and added during last 5 minutes of boil)
0.5 oz Magnum for 60 minutes
0.5 oz Sterling for 15 minutes
Dry Yeast (Windsor)

I may make a spice 'tea' at bottling and add some if I think it needs more spice flavor.

Rice hulls my friend where are they???

Well, maybe I'm wrong and you'll make a clone. But I just had a pumking monday and is sure seems like there is something else there.

If there is, it's not listed on the bottle.

As I said above, the recipe above is what the ingredients are (plus the OP's added brown sugar and decision to use C60.)

I suspect what's missing is a combination of four things (a) the yeast (which isn't listed, IIRC), (b) mash temp (again, not listed), (c) fermentation temp (not listed -- but even if it was, probably would mean nothing to clone brewers), and (d) fermenter geometry (we're assuming Southern Tier has big badass fermenters.)

And there's probably the fifth thing, too: the treatment of the pumpkin: mash? boil? baked and then mashed? etc.

And maybe the sixth thing: the temp ramp over time for the fermentation.

Thanks to the OP for providing a starting point for a recipe. Clone or not, that's what the bottle says -- and I agree: it's yummy. :)

*shrug*

If you're really curious, I bet a friendly call to Southern Tier might provide some additional answers (assuming they're willing to talk).

[I've heard that many brewers like to add the pumpkin to the mash but my LBHS owner swears that you get more flavor by adding it to the boil./QUOTE]

I do both with very good luck. I do 1LB in the mash and 1LB in the boil the entire time. Then I even go one step futher and put the bag of pumpkin goo in the primary for ten days. My friends beg me to make mine.

Latest posts

Back