Freshly kegged beer tastes a little "green"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
So fresh outta the primary and into the keg and properly forced carbed over 3 days in my beer fridge it's tasting a bit green. Definitely needs to be aged and conditioned.

So what is the proper procedure for warming it up and placing it into room temperature storage for aging? With the co2 pressure and all...

So what is the proper procedure for warming it up and placing it into room temperature storage for aging? With the co2 pressure and all...

I would simply let it condition cold. It will.

This is one of the reasons I prefer (unless I need it pronto) to force carb slowly at 12psi/38*F over a couple of weeks. The other is to avoid carbonic acid bite (been there, done that).

What style of beer is this?

I would simply let it condition cold. It will.

This is one of the reasons I prefer (unless I need it pronto) to force carb slowly at 12psi/38*F over a couple of weeks. The other is to avoid carbonic acid bite (been there, done that).

What style of beer is this?

It's a RYE IPA, 6.3% and 60 IBU's.

It's my 2nd ever batch. First was an LME with only specialty grains summer IPA and it tasted GREAT from the very beginning. Of course it wasn't kegged. It was bottle conditioned

This one was a mini mash and just really tasted like it needs aging

I would also let it cold condition. I typically keep my IPA/pale ales in primary 6-7 days, transfer to secondary to dry hop for 5 days and "force carb" for 3 days. That's 15 days till I pour. However, it takes 4-5 more days in keg...chilled...to drop out additional yeast and hop debris. It tastes much better. So be patient...unlike me.

I kegged a English ale about 3 weeks ago let it carb up for a day or 2 than tasted it...not really good at all ..I poured a pint last night and wow ..totally diffrent beer ..just let it sit in the fridge and chill out..it will taste better with time

Back