Fresh Yeast for Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sremed60

Reaction score
So far I've just pitched the yeast into the fermenter, let it ferment, and then add corn sugar when I bottle. I recently read that most pro brewers add fresh yeast when they bottle rather than relying on the stressed out yeast that has already been thru one fermentation.

I was wondering if there are any home brewers who add fresh yeast when you bottle? If so, do you just set aside a little when you pitch? How much do you set aside?

Just curious. I'd like to try adding fresh yeast to see if it makes a difference.

The only pros I know of that add fresh yeast at bottling are those that both filter their beer (taking the yeast out), and then bottle condition (which requires a little yeast). Otherwise, they don't add yeast at bottling.

Most homebrewers don't either, as it's generally only necessary for very high abv beers, or for some lagers that spent a long time near freezing and can benefit from fresh yeast in the bottling process.

The other case would be if you are making a sour beer that kills the original yeast by raising the acidity. If you are just making normal beer with normal homebrew processes, there is no point in adding more yeast.

The only pros I know of that add fresh yeast at bottling are those that both filter their beer (taking the yeast out), and then bottle condition (which requires a little yeast). Otherwise, they don't add yeast at bottling.

Most homebrewers don't either, as it's generally only necessary for very high abv beers, or for some lagers that spent a long time near freezing and can benefit from fresh yeast in the bottling process.
I was reading up on bottle conditioning and I read an article or blog or something, (I tried to find it again so I could quote it directly, but I don't remember where I found it; online? a book? a magazine? a newsletter? maybe even a forum post here or there - I don't remember)

Anyway, I started out researching ways to clarify beer. I read some comments from people who said that after they cold crashed there wasn't enough yeast left and their beer didn't carbonate properly. Others said they never had a problem with carbonation and there is always enough yeast left in suspension. I do know that no one making any of these comments on either side of the argument actually counted the yeast cells or measured the viability after they cold crashed.

I've never found arguments based in speculation and opinion to be all that helpful so my goal was to see if there was anything a little more factual about cold crashing and bottle conditioning available. Somewhere in the midst of all that I read something about adding fresh yeast at bottling. It implied, (and again this is based on my memory and my impression), but it seemed to suggest that the pros who bottle condition usually add fresh yeast. It obviously didn't suggest that every pro brewer everywhere adds fresh yeast every time to every bottle. I didn't read it to say that even pro brewers who filter their beer and use artificial carbonation add fresh yeast at bottling. The gist seemed to be not so much because of how much yeast was or wasn't left in suspension after fermentation, but more because whatever yeast was left over was stressed from the fermentation.

I don't know??? I've only been doing this for a year so I'm still learning as I go. Whatever it was I read and wherever it was I found it... it seemed to make sense to me and it wasn't something I'd read many comments about in forums, so I just thought I'd ask.

I'm getting ready to brew a Scottish ale either today or tomorrow. I made a 2L starter the day before yesterday that's cold crashing in the fridge. I set aside a small vile of it to add back in when I bottle - just to satisfy my own curiosity.

There's a lot of guys who are pretty vehement about how critical it is to pitch enough, (even more than enough), good, healthy, viable, unstressed yeast for primary fermentation, but when it comes time to bottle they seem to be okay with measuring out a specific amount of corn sugar and hoping and guessing there's maybe enough stressed out yeast left over to carbonate.

Cheers
:mug:

I do, depending on the beer. Something that sits in a fermenter for several months and is going to be bottle conditioned, I add some Danstar CBC-1 into the bottling bucket. Gives very good carbonation, no detectable flavors, and the sediment is fairly minimal.

5 years, 85 batches, over half have been bottled, all have carbonated. Some were aged near 2 months, some were high gravity. A couple over carbonates? and a couple were pretty flat. None had extra yeast added.

Would it be better with more (fresh) yeast? IDK.

I do for beers that underwent very long fermentation. 18 months on a kriek for example. Necessary? Not sure but I've been taking Michael Tonsmeire's advice from his book and here:

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/11/brewing-sour-beer-at-home.html
"I generally reyeast with wine or neutral ale yeast at bottling. 2 grams of dry yeast rehydrated in 90-100 degree water is my standard rate for 5 gallons, but a little extra won't hurt anything. This ensures timely carbonation and not much change in flavor immediately after bottling."

Latest posts

Back