Fresh Squeezed IPA (Deschutes Inspired)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had 5 diff people try this from friends to the LHBS guys and some customers that were in the store and everyone of them are literally blown away by this beer, the reaction I get which I feel the same, is that if this had a label and was in a store they all would buy it hands down. It's an awesome recipe. I had a four pack of the real thing sent to me and should get it in the next couple days, I can't wait to A/B it to this clone recipe. Either way even if it's not exact this is a winner hands down and will always be a staple recipe for me.

So I got my 4 pack of the Real deal Fresh Squeezed today and had to A/B it to the clone. My wife and I both hands down chose this recipe over the real thing. Much better nose and pronounced flavor and I bottled my batch prob 1 month ago. The real deal was amazingly clear and had a touch more malt/sweetness to it I'm guessing bump up the mash in temp and it would be spot on, I hit the FG of 1.010 as the recipe suggests so maybe it's just a fact of the HB being alot fresher. I'm going to do another A/B test after the real bottles have had a week of fridge time and see what happens. Either way this recipe is amazing.

Drinking my second of the real deal Fresh Squeezed and it definitely has a more malt presence, actually seemed real malt forward the first few drinks then by the halfway point the malt and hops started to become better intertwined. I'd def say Deschutes mashes at a higher temp to bring out the malt sweetness or uses more Crystal in the grain to interplay with the Citra/Mosaic tropical, orange, juiciness of the hops but I still like this recipe better as I like my IPA's drier to make the flavor of the hops more pronounced. I've handed this clone off to prob 10 diff people from friends to guys at the LHBS and all have said if it was bottled on the shelf in a store they'd buy it regularly hands down. Yeah this is a winner recipe.

Drinking my second of the real deal Fresh Squeezed and it definitely has a more malt presence, actually seemed real malt forward the first few drinks then by the halfway point the malt and hops started to become better intertwined. I'd def say Deschutes mashes at a higher temp to bring out the malt sweetness or uses more Crystal in the grain to interplay with the Citra/Mosaic tropical, orange, juiciness of the hops but I still like this recipe better as I like my IPA's drier to make the flavor of the hops more pronounced. I've handed this clone off to prob 10 diff people from friends to guys at the LHBS and all have said if it was bottled on the shelf in a store they'd buy it regularly hands down. Yeah this is a winner recipe.

Just (last night) had my first pint that has been conditioning for a few weeks and I agree it has a very malt forward presence. I don't usually care for that in an IPA, but it was actually vey tasty and balanced the bitterness well.

Really good beer.

I'm using beersmith to punch in the numbers and keep my recipes and it calculates the IBU's at 64 and that's with putting the FWH addition in as a 20min boil addition which I understand is common for translating the FWH IBU's. With the Nugget as a 60min addition the IBU's jump up to 80. How did you guys figure the IBU's for this beer around 50?

Here is the recipe I have on BrewersFriend. The FWH is substituted as a 20 min addition 'left' in the boil. It calculates the FWH of Nugget as 13.9 IBU's:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/72500/fresh-squeezed-ipa

I think I'm not "getting this" either.
I just plugged in the numbers for a 5.5G batch (using half the amount of the original recipe. I have to drop the Nugget FWH addition to 1/4oz to get it down to 13.9 IBUs. For those doing 5G batches, did you use 1/2oz and FWH?

(And what the heck am I missing in BeerSmith that isn't doing that calculation right?)

I think I'm not "getting this" either.
I just plugged in the numbers for a 5.5G batch (using half the amount of the original recipe. I have to drop the Nugget FWH addition to 1/4oz to get it down to 13.9 IBUs. For those doing 5G batches, did you use 1/2oz and FWH?

(And what the heck am I missing in BeerSmith that isn't doing that calculation right?)

Try this: scratch the 'idea' of the 20 minute thing. Use a FWH of nugget instead of the 60 minute addition. That's all. Keep the other hop additions the same. Plug this recipe into brewersfriend (free account) and see how your number compare to Beersmith.

Thanks for the reply as I'm hoping to brew this soon.

For clarity, I ignored any comment about a 20-minute addition and listed the Nugget at 1/2oz FWH and BeerSmith kicked out 27.7 IBUs.

But if you, or anybody else can say that they brewed a 5G batch of this using 1/2oz Nugget for FWH and it turned out right I'll gladly do it that way.

Thanks for the reply as I'm hoping to brew this soon.

For clarity, I ignored any comment about a 20-minute addition and listed the Nugget at 1/2oz FWH and BeerSmith kicked out 27.7 IBUs.

But if you, or anybody else can say that they brewed a 5G batch of this using 1/2oz Nugget for FWH and it turned out right I'll gladly do it that way.

It's how I brew it every time. :mug:

So it is said, and so it shall be done.

Thanks. :rockin:

Brewing a 5 gallon partial mash of Fresh Squeezed this weekend. Really hoping it turns out well since Fresh Squeezed is my favorite IPA. It'll be my first brew using my just-finished temp controlled keezer for fermentation. Looking forward to being able to dial in the ferm temp and not worry about ice baths!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oh, and if anyone's curious, here's my partial mash recipe. Haven't brewed it yet, so it may need some tweaking depending on how this turns out.

5.5 lbs Rahr 2-row
0.75 lb Munich 10L
0.5 lb Caramel 80L
4 oz Flaked Wheat

Mash at 152 for 60 min.

2.5 lbs. Light DME @ 60
2.5 lbs. Light DME @ 15

1 oz Nugget @ 60
1 oz Citra @ 15
1 oz Mosaic @ 15
1 oz Citra @ 0
1 oz Citra for dry hopping

Wyeast 1056, will be making a 2L starter
Ferm @ 65 degrees

From Brewer's Friend, the stats:
OG - 1.066
FG - 1.016
ABV - 6.48%
IBU - 59.43
SRM - 9.19

Some notes/explanations:
--Deschutes' site says they use Crystal/Caramel 75. Used 80 because that's what I could get. Not sure what the target SRM is, but 9 seems reasonable. Not so much worried about color as I am about taste.
--DME additions are split to get the IBUs right.
--Included flaked wheat for head retention and because I have some lying around.
--The numbers assume 60% partial mash efficiency. In the few partial mashes I've done, I've come out within a point or two of the target OG based off of 60% efficiency.
--The projected numbers come out right at what Deschutes lists on their website...hopefully the taste is close too!

For those that have brewed this before, what was your total time in primary/secondary (if you did secondary) before you bottled/kegged? Mine's been in primary for just over a week now. Looks like fermentation has settled down, krausen has dropped. Plan on taking a gravity reading tonight and then again this weekend. I guess the question is, if the SG is stable after two weeks, is there any benefit to letting it sit longer before dry hopping, or is 3 weeks total (2 weeks primary, 1 week dry hop...which I'll do in primary) sufficient to get it into bottles as "fresh" as possible?

I would dry hop it on day 10 for ~3-5 days then proceed to your cold crashing / bottling process. ~2-3 weeks in the bottle and she's ready to guzzle!

I would dry hop it on day 10 for ~3-5 days then proceed to your cold crashing / bottling process. ~2-3 weeks in the bottle and she's ready to guzzle!

Thanks!

Just took my first gravity reading and it's down to 1.010. Projected was 1.016, so I've got about an extra percentage point of ABV now. The sample tastes and smells awesome, though. Can't wait to see what it's like after the dry hopping. This is shaping up to be my best brew yet (knock on wood)!

I tried this beer for the first time, fresh on tap: tasted like pinapple skittles! Blech. Is there something I'm missing?

Actually I have. I'm in a coop of ~15 people and we make 2 x 20 gallon batches each month. They brewed this recipe and we did equal parts of Mosaic and Citra dryhop. While it wasn't bad, I was a little turned off due to it deviating what I was actually trying to achieve. If I were to modify this recipe again, the only thing I may do differently is to dry hop with more Citra, maybe 1 more oz. Not both Mosaic + Citra. It takes away from the 'Fresh Squeezed' aroma you get from the Citra.

im not surprised. mosaic is best used as an accent hop, not in the star role. i bet if brewed it with a 2:1 Citra:Mosaic it would rock!

I tried this beer for the first time, fresh on tap: tasted like pinapple skittles! Blech. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm not sure what's going on there. It should be like a pink grapefruit (slight sweetness) flavor with a huge citrus nose.

Did you hit the mash temp correctly and follow the hop schedule accordingly?

I'm not sure what's going on there. It should be like a pink grapefruit (slight sweetness) flavor with a huge citrus nose.

Did you hit the mash temp correctly and follow the hop schedule accordingly?

Oh I meant the Deschutes original.

I don't see why not. I would think any neutral yeast would work. Even BRY-97, maybe. I just use US-05 for a lot of my brews since I can keep the fermentation temps on the lower end controlled (59-62) without any perceived off-flavors. Flocculation is great and no need for a blow off tube. Enjoy!

plankbr, i see you made a doubly fresh squeezed.. care to elaborate? i was thinking of trying something of that nature.

plankbr, i see you made a doubly fresh squeezed.. care to elaborate? i was thinking of trying something of that nature.

Actually that was a beautiful accident. :mug: I just tightened the rollers on my mill. Same recipe. Got close to a stuck mash / sparge though.

I bottled my partial mash version of this recipe a couple of weeks ago and couldn't wait any longer to try one, so cracked one open last night after about 24 hours in the fridge. It definitely needs more bottle conditioning as the carbonation wasn't all the way there yet, but damn, it was good! I haven't done a side by side with the real thing yet (plan on picking up some Fresh Squeezed this afternoon to do just that), but it's definitely the best brew I've made so far. I suspect mine is probably darker than the real thing. I used Caramel 80, maybe should have done 60, but I'm not too worried about that. I also got a bit higher ABV (7.3%) because it finished a bit lower than expected, but again, not too worried about that. The taste is what matters, and that came out better than I could've hoped for.:mug:

I assume 001 of 1056 yeast is perfectly fine for this recipe, no?
I have 05 around but just have some 001 washed that I want to use before it gets too old.

I used 1056 on mine (2L starter) and it turned out great. Actually, it worked better than expected....the calculated FG was 1.016, but it got down to 1.010.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414203679.974343.jpg

Fresh Squeezed and my clone, Recently Squeezed (original, huh?) side by side. Fresh Squeezed is on the left. Mine still isn't fully carbed, but the color came out pretty close and the aroma is identical. Flavor is really, really close too...if I did a blind taste test, I might be hard pressed to pick out the real thing. This is definitely the best beer I've made so far. I'll definitely have to keep this one in the rotation.

I love this beer. Being a new brewer, this was my best beer by far. Took some to my boss's husband. He was quite surprised at how good it was. I don't share meh beer. I had one minor 'slip up ', instead of 5-7 days dry hop... I got called into work. I was gone for about 17 days plus the 3 before I left. I was sweating a grassy nasty the whole time I was at work. Turned out very good though. Just a tad more piney than I like. It is a definite brew again beer. Next time just 5 days on dry hop. It did tasted fantastic at 3 days.

Wow, not sure why it tasted like that for you, but I didn't find it to taste anything like skittles. It wasn't anywhere near that sweet for me. I had it on tap at the Deschutes tap room in Portland and in bottles. It is one of my favorite IPAs, and I wish it was distributed in my state. I can only assume you tasted a bad batch.

Wow, not sure why it tasted like that for you, but I didn't find it to taste anything like skittles. It wasn't anywhere near that sweet for me. I had it on tap at the Deschutes tap room in Portland and in bottles. It is one of my favorite IPAs, and I wish it was distributed in my state. I can only assume you tasted a bad batch.

Their stated FG is a range of 1.015-1.025. On the upper end that's pretty sweet, IMO.

Back