Freezing Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_ATL73

Reaction score
My keezer had a malfunction (really my mistake) where the temp controller thermometer was pulled to the top of the freezer. This lead to the temp controller thinking the keezer was constantly too warm and it resulted in all my kegs freezing. Whoops. I left the keezer open for a good 3 hours to warm it back to above freezing and I pulled off an extremely foamy pint of English bitter and let it sit... a bit of unintentional freeze distilling... mmmmm that was tasty- like a deeper rich higher abv version of the original :yes:

That's beside the point of my question

Will this have any flavor impact? Should I expect anything negative to result from this or will the beer return back to its normal state once it defrosts?

I think everyone who has a keezer at some point does this.

Some of us more than once.

I did it in my fermentation freezer and murdered 2 beers and a cider all at once!!

I've had a few that seemed a bit watery after a freeze and thaw, but most are just fine IME.

Obviously, don't keep drawing off the good stuff while waiting for all of the frozen beer to melt! :D
I would allow the kegs to fully thaw, even if that meant running to the packie for a sixer to get me through the night.
Then I would consider inverting each keg a few times to try to homogenize the contents...

Cheers!

don't keep drawing off the good stuff while waiting for all of the frozen beer to melt
Man, it was tasty..

Ok thanks for the advice I will let it thaw and invert the keg. My fear is that with the set PSI and drop in temp that these kegs are gonna be over carbed now. I'm sure they will be drinkable still

My keezer had a malfunction (really my mistake) where the temp controller thermometer was pulled to the top of the freezer. This lead to the temp controller thinking the keezer was constantly too warm and it resulted in all my kegs freezing. Whoops. I left the keezer open for a good 3 hours to warm it back to above freezing and I pulled off an extremely foamy pint of English bitter and let it sit... a bit of unintentional freeze distilling... mmmmm that was tasty- like a deeper rich higher abv version of the original :yes:

That's beside the point of my question

Will this have any flavor impact? Should I expect anything negative to result from this or will the beer return back to its normal state once it defrosts?
Had this happen to 2 kegs I prepped for my wedding in June. Luckily I had enough time to let them thaw and check carbonation. Beer tasted great, no noticeable off flavors/watered down taste. Also got lucky that there wasn’t any keg damage!!

Yeah I’ve done this. It was less carbonated after i thawed but taste fine after carbonation returned to equilibrium.

Back