Freezer Chilling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamPag

Reaction score
Just an observation, I get better drinking results when I leave my bottles at room temp, and toss them in the freezer for about an hour as opposed to putting them in the fridge for 2-3 days. Better head, retention, lacing, everything. The only thing ive noticed is it doesnt seem to stay as cold for as long. Any words to toss in?

maybe the bottle feels colder since it was in the freezer. But in reality it is warmer than it would normally be from the fridge? Would explain more head and retention.

Na the beer is plenty cold, Ive got it to around an hour because I found out the hard way that around 90 mins it starts freezing lol

I agree I'm
The same! I'll throw them at room temp and drink them ice cold and it's bomb! Just keep am eye on them

Well Since my Mash tun cooler is not any use (using a different, better system) I keep bottles in there, and then at some point just add ice :)

I have only started with the head retention, but I have a discrepancy between the book knowledge that I have recently attained and what I already knew.. So I am going to do some experimentation, like adding a Wheat DME. But my current taste in styles is not the best for head retention (based on reading) Basically I mash lower aiming to higher gravity blonds...

Hmm my friends challenged me with a task of brewing something that can hold a penny on the foam for a minute...

The rapid freezer chilling forces the CO2 rapidly into the liquid, as opposed to taking a longer time, possible accounting for the retention. However, proper head and retention are also a factor as to how well you pour, every beer (especially my homebrews) have at least 1.5 inches of head (in an english pint, my imperial glasses generate head VERY quickly and are harder to control) and retain the head after pour for over 2 minutes if I dont take a sip. Practice your pour!!

Ice water in a cooler is a pretty darn fast way to chill beer and no risk of freezing, either. That's the way I like to go.

Back