"Free Malt"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Should "free malt" be used differently than 2 row?? I stopped in yesterday at the local Micro Brewery, and visiting with brewer in back, found that his floor drain had plugged due, he suspected to a plastic cap going down the drain. The floor was flooded with yeast and trub, and he was dragging a sewer snake out to try to clear the blockage. When he told me what he suspected happened, I told him to get a shop vac and suck the drain out. After locating a friend who had one (I live 50 miles away), he had the drain cleared. I had gone back to ask him to sell me a bag of two row. I brought up the topic, and he said he wouldn't sell me any two row, but I could have a bag of "free malt", and grabbed a 50 pound sack off a freshly opened pallet, handed it me with a thank you. On getting it home, I see that it looks exactly like the two row, the bag is labeled the same, etc.

I'm going to use my "free malt" exactly as I would two row, in fact I'm planning a brew of each that is identical to compare the results. Not wanting to act foolish, I didn't ask him what the difference was between two row and "free malt". This is made right here in Montana by Malteurop North America. Their website doesn't say anything about "free malt"

Any suggestions??

H.W.

It looks to me, you are a pay it forward kind of guy, and that is admirable quality.You went out of your to help someone you didn't even know. You rock!

I was at a brewpub not long ago, and the brewer is a great guy. I rarely see him, but when I do he is eager to share some of his goodies as well.

He gave me some free hops- el dorado and citra, and it was great using them as I had never brewed (or tasted) el dorado before.

Hops are good; free hops are better. :D

I agree free hops are great at the AHA Conference on Friday I was standing at the Hop Union both when the lights went out ending the Expo for the day. The guys from Hop Union gave a brick of Simcoe and a brick of Cascade. I was in heaven!!!
Never used Simcoe before so I made a Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade American IPA. Bottled it last night... going to be a great beer.

I guess the OP was at the right [lace at the right time to help out the brewer and get the grains he was looking for...

I wonder if they are the same company that makes "free fridge"?

I was hunting out a mini-fridge on Craigslist and found one listed for $40.

I called the guy and came to his place. When I got there, I see this dude who couldn't be more than 120LBS and a woman even smaller struggling to get a couch up onto a truck.

Without a second thought, I told them both to go on one side and I grabbed the other side. I'm a bit bigger then 120 (twice that weight sadly) so I figured I'd be able to lift a bit better than him.

Anyways, we get the couch loaded in less than 5 minutes. I ask him out of curiosity what brand the fridge was (didn't list in the craiglist post) and he says it's a free fridge. A what?

It's a free fridge. Have a good day and thanks for the help. :mug:

^^ Great story, that was great of you to help and very nice of them to give you the fridge for free for your help.

Now if I could find a source for "free hops"........... I don't think my new starts are going to produce much if anything.......... they just didn't take off. A couple of pounds of those "free hops", and I'd have 25 gallons of "free beer", as I top crop everything. For it to be real "free beer", I suppose I'd have to find free fuel to make it......... Come to think of it, I was given 100 lbs of propane recently, so I've got that base covered, and of course I brew on my .......... you guessed it "free time".

H.W.

Back