Free bottle score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SittingDuck

Reaction score
So they say a good deed is its own reward, but it is better when that good deed pays off in beer.

Tonight I went to the fundraiser party for a nonprofit volunteer lawyer organization that my firm sponsors. Some of their interns flaked, and as a result, I ended up tending bar. As thanks, I got 6 cases of empty brown bottles and three more cases of miscellaneous craft beer that I can empty myself, as well as some wine and champagne for SWMBO. All for standing behind the bar and drinking all night.

I gotta say it was a good day.

Nice! I have a hookup on wine bottles, but still looking for one on beer bottles. My wine hookup and her husband drink about 40-60 bottles of wine a month (NO joke). All 1.5L bottles and all I have to do is drop off a bottle of Apfelwein each time. Small price to pay!

That is....alot of wine. But yeah, that's all that really holds back my pipeline. It's no good brewing another batch if I have nowhere to put it when it's done. Empty bottles are my biggest bottleneck, no pun intended.

I've got plenty of longnecks and bombers for beer, but I've been thinking about hitting up some of the local bars for wine bottles to put mead in...so far haven't bothered, but it does suck paying 15 bucks a case for bottles when I don't have any empties....

That is....alot of wine. But yeah, that's all that really holds back my pipeline. It's no good brewing another batch if I have nowhere to put it when it's done. Empty bottles are my biggest bottleneck, no pun intended.

well presumably if you work out the numbers you should be able to get a nice cycle going where you drink ~50 (whatever your batch size is) bottles of beer between batch bottlings

Emptying 50 before a batch is done is fine for one batch at a time. The problem is the backlog of styles I want to make, as well as keeping enough house ale. I could brew weekly and not run out of things I want to brew, and emptying 50 a week is a bit much.

Maybe if I lived near Nuckinfuts' neighbors...

Just a thought. When I need 22oz bottles I go to the redemption center. They sell them to me for 10 cents a piece. They make a profit and I get some bottles. If you do it you might think about bringing a bit of homebrew to make things work smooth. Sorry to hijack Sittingduck, carry on.

Even better than a redemption center...grab some gloves, a big bucket, and go to the dump. There is usually a recycling center there for cardboard, etc. There should be hundreds there, and many different types. I only use swing-tops so I usually don't even bother, but if you cap, this is a free source anyday.

Back