Frankenbeer 1gal recipes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My LHBS has a pretty good discount on grain and such, so in the past I kinda went crazy and stocked up, and now I'm looking to use some of the ingredients in a bunch of 1gal custom recipes, frankenbeers!
Here are the ingredients I have to work with:
2oz fuggle
1oz centennial
1oz Czech Saaz
1oz cascade
1oz citra
1oz warrior
2oz Columbus
1lb flaked wheat
1lb flaked rice
1lb Simpsons gold naked oats
1lb Maris otter malt
1lb rahr premium pilsner malt
2lbs Ireland lager malt
2lb briess 2-row caramel 40l
1lb briess 2-row caramel 120l,
1lb briess 6 row malt.
Any have any good ideas for a bunch of 1gal recipes?

I see a Belgian Dubbel/DSA in there as well as an IPA.

I would say use the Rahr Pilsner, Maris Otter and some of the Caramel malts to make a Dubbel. You have some Warrior and Saaz for that.

Then I would say use the rest of the Maris Otter and some Caramel 40 to make an IPA. You have quite a few "C" hops to play with on that one.

Nobody else has any 1gal all grain recipe ideas for me? 96 views and just one reply?

SmaSh - Pseudo Brown Porter
2 lbs of Crystal 40
1 oz Fuggle 10 min
1 oz Fuggle 2 min
1028 (London) Yeast

or

Throw all the grain into a batch and all the hops as later additions and make a 2 gallon batch of an "Imperial" American Barleywine. Age 1 gallon on oak chips and the other on vanilla beans. Blend to taste... Too much?

Nobody else has any 1gal all grain recipe ideas for me? 96 views and just one reply?

You don't really have much. Look up some recipes and scale them down. Making the recipe is half the fun. Why would you want someone else to do it for you?

One of my issues is when you say "scale down", pretty much I should be using 1.5lbs to 2lbs of malt per 1 gallon of water?

One of my issues is when you say "scale down", pretty much I should be using 1.5lbs to 2lbs of malt per 1 gallon of water?

Do you have a spreadsheet or software to use? Explaining the mathematics of all-grain brewing is something I like doing but it would be a long post.

I typically take 5 gal batches and scale them down or I just write my own 5 gal recipe and scale it down. My spreadsheet is set up for scaling and I am just so used to writing and reading 5 gal recipes that it's just the way my brain works.

I tried using BeerSmith, but I'm having a hard time creating a 1gal recipe

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_nBevaVXAADtH6910gu3-VcgbQ6Wz05vDKJovsCEsTc/edit?usp=sharing

Try this out. It's my spreadsheet. Just enter your desired size in the scaling portion and enter your grains from the drop downs.

This is my personal spreadsheet so it is still in development as far as i'm concerned but i've inputted some known recipes and got fairly good results.

EDIT: Sorry for the busted link. The one above should be good.

I tried using BeerSmith, but I'm having a hard time creating a 1gal recipe

If you have your equipment for 1gal batches already input into beersmith scaling a recipe should be a couple of clicks. Should be a scale button on the main task bar when you have a recipe open.

With only 5lb of base malt you only have a few batches of session beers not a bunch.

wheat
1lb flaked wheat
1lb rahr premium pilsner malt
1oz fuggle or cascade

cream ale
1lb briess 6 row malt.
1/2lb flaked rice
1/2lbs Ireland lager malt
2 oz briess 2-row caramel 40l
some warrior for bittering
1oz Czech Saaz for finishing

Pale ale