fragile / sensitive wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkondolian

Reaction score
My 5th batch into primary tonight, an apple ale. I messed up the OG (way too high, around 1.06) and also forgot to cool my 1.5 gallon boil before adding it to the primary, so I wound up messing around for a LONG time before pitching the yeast. Like maybe an hour, or an hour and a half getting it down to 1.044 and 74 degrees F.

My question is: I read in instructions for one of my kits that after the boil, the wort is "sensitive" (to oxidation?) and should be sealed up with the yeast ASAP.

RDWHAH, but it is generally preferrable to have the boil sealed up as soon as you can, right? Or did I get weird kit directions?

Here's the recipie, BTW:

12 oz honey
6 lbs muntons light DME
1 oz Holterhauer pellets (sp?) boiling

into a 1.5 gallon boil, 45 min.

Add 0.5 oz 6.5 % cascade hop pellets finishing

Add to 3 sliced apples (sanitized using a paper towel soaked in vodka) and 1 can of frozen apple juice concentrate, already in primary

Bring volume up to 6 gallons.

(I realize that the preferred method is to make a light ale and add apple extract, but I wanted to try this out with fresh apples.)

Any comments or hints welcome.

i'm no pro, but from my experience, yes, you should try to cool the wort as fast as possible and get that rehydrated/started yeast in there and seal it up.

but i do know i did exactly what you did on my first brew and had to just watch it cool down for about an hour. but the beer turned out fine!

i wouldn't worry about it...personally

about the fruit and concentrate - not too sure, haven't tried any added fruit/fruit beers

Ideally you want to get the wort below 140 as quick as possible. However I almost wait a few hours before pitching because my ground water is never cold enough to get me to my desired pitching temps. You don't want to aerate when it is hot but if you are cooled down it is encouraged before you pitched. You are most likely ok.

Back