Founders Mosaic Promise IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did it taste? I brewed your recipe a few weeks ago. Still fermenting but anxious to bottle. Our area's distributors (Charleston, SC) are going to have this in 6-packs next month. Hope the clone turns out as good!

I've been really enjoying this one, even if it is stronger than the actual Mosaic Promise. As I mentioned above, next time I make this I will not add the DME; it wasn't necessary. Then I'll know for sure how close this recipe is to the real thing. This is a damn good beer on its own though!

So, I haven't tried the real thing yet (I'm planning on seeing if my local grocer has any in stock so I can try it) but this recipe sounds intriguing so I'm going to be brewing up a batch this weekend!

I'm going to be using 6lbs of Golden Promise and 4lbs of basic 2-row for my grains.

As for the hops, I'm of the ilk the hoppier the better so I'm going all Mosaic with .5 oz @ 60, 1 oz @ 15, 1 oz @ 5 and 2 oz @ flameout/whirpool with 2.5 oz for dry hopping.

For yeast I'm going with wyeast 1272.

As for the mash, is 150 the number that everyone seems happy with or should I try maybe 152 or so?

So, I haven't tried the real thing yet (I'm planning on seeing if my local grocer has any in stock so I can try it) but this recipe sounds intriguing so I'm going to be brewing up a batch this weekend!

I'm going to be using 6lbs of Golden Promise and 4lbs of basic 2-row for my grains.

As for the hops, I'm of the ilk the hoppier the better so I'm going all Mosaic with .5 oz @ 60, 1 oz @ 15, 1 oz @ 5 and 2 oz @ flameout/whirpool with 2.5 oz for dry hopping.

For yeast I'm going with wyeast 1272.

As for the mash, is 150 the number that everyone seems happy with or should I try maybe 152 or so?

I think my mash was 150. What is your SG going to be?

My brew ended at around 5% or maybe a little over. I did the .5@60, 1@10, 5, and KO. 1.5 for dry hop. I can tell you it was really hoppy. I would only go more than that if you have an SG greater than 1.06. That would make it an IPA instead of a session IPA which is where I put my brew at.

Any updates on this? I just tried this for the first time today and thought it was a fantastic IPA yet so simple. Already planning to do a Golden Promise Mosaic SMASH soon. Biggest question is what yeast and what hop schedule. This beer is a very dry IPA to me, wonder if there is cane sugar in it too.

Any update?

Wow 2 months flew right on by! No I haven't even had time to do any brewing unfortunately. That's about to change though. I am having an engagement party up in Michigan this August and I plan on bringing this beer up with me. That and I need to start another 6 gallons of lemon wine too.

For some reason, my earlier post didn't... post here. Anyways...

I made 5 gallons of this yesterday. For America.🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

My target gravity was 1.057; my actual gravity was 1.054. Hopefully no blown out airlocks this time!

Despite the heat wave, and losing power for 20 hours last Saturday during a pop-up storm (it uprooted trees, ripped the power lines off my house... fun times!) this beer has appeared to settle out and clear pretty nicely. This go around, I added 3 ounces of Mosaic hops for dry-hopping... it smells wonderful. Plan on bottling this one Saturday or Sunday. It should give me 2 solid weeks to bottle carb/condition for my engagement party on the 6th.

Any issues using only Mosaic? I'm about to do a session ale using Mosaic, and have read that using them as a bittering hop can yield cat p**s-like notes. So, I was thinking about Centennial as a bittering hop, and Mosaic only starting around 20 minutes to flame out and in dry hop. But, I do like Mosaic Promise, and Mosaic Red Rye IPA from Terrapin. Allegedly strait Mosaic through the entire brew.

So I'm curious how the bittering went using Mosaic vs another bittering hop. I've always been a huge Centennial fan as A.A.s aren't too high, and an ounce for 60 minutes isn't overbearing to the non-IPA fans. But, would love to do a single hop showcase on the session ale.

Despite the heat wave, and losing power for 20 hours last Saturday during a pop-up storm (it uprooted trees, ripped the power lines off my house... fun times!) this beer has appeared to settle out and clear pretty nicely. This go around, I added 3 ounces of Mosaic hops for dry-hopping... it smells wonderful. Plan on bottling this one Saturday or Sunday. It should give me 2 solid weeks to bottle carb/condition for my engagement party on the 6th.

How did it come out?

Any issues using only Mosaic? I'm about to do a session ale using Mosaic, and have read that using them as a bittering hop can yield cat p**s-like notes. So, I was thinking about Centennial as a bittering hop, and Mosaic only starting around 20 minutes to flame out and in dry hop. But, I do like Mosaic Promise, and Mosaic Red Rye IPA from Terrapin. Allegedly strait Mosaic through the entire brew.

So I'm curious how the bittering went using Mosaic vs another bittering hop. I've always been a huge Centennial fan as A.A.s aren't too high, and an ounce for 60 minutes isn't overbearing to the non-IPA fans. But, would love to do a single hop showcase on the session ale.

Hmm I didn't experience that at all. I will say that the first few beers i tried did not taste good at all. There was a weird aftertaste that I should've taken notes on regarding what it tasted like. I was convinced that I had 50 or so beers that I'll end up dumping.
However, after letting them "age" for a few additional weeks (as in 2 weeks or so ago) and they were delicious. And the fiancé, my brothers, and the few friends that tried them also agreed that it was very good. I'm not sure what was so off-putting to me in the beginning, but whatever it was didn't seem to stick around.
It also didn't quite taste EXACTLY like Mosaic Promise, but it was a refreshing brew for sure. I think if I an hit the ABV closer to the target, that would help the cause.
And the aroma was pretty close to the Mosaic Promise as well.

Sorry to bring up an old post but are you willing to post the final recipe and details of the Brew cycle? This is absolutely one of my favorite beers I've ever had and I would definitely like to brew it this weekend.

After a couple weeks in the keg this Amber is crystal clear. It is one absolutely delicious beer. As much as I've talked about beer and everything else I got to say, this is an absolutely phenomenal recipe. I will keep this kegged as long as I'm brewing. Thank you so much for sharing it with me. I absolutely love it!
20180313_232415.jpg

Oops. That was meant for a private message but, if anyone wants the recipe for this phenomenal Amber, I have it. It's God damn Delicious

Oops. That was meant for a private message but, if anyone wants the recipe for this phenomenal Amber, I have it. It's God damn Delicious
LOL! After reading your first post again I was like damn, he brewed that fast and then I was like wait, this shouldn't result in an Amber... Then I scrolled down some more and read your last post!

Sorry to bring up an old post but are you willing to post the final recipe and details of the Brew cycle? This is absolutely one of my favorite beers I've ever had and I would definitely like to brew it this weekend.

I'm not the OP but here is the recipe I've been using and I've been super pleased with the results!!!

Gravity Readings:

OG - 1.059

FG - 1.012

Grains:

12 lbs Golden Promise

Hops:

1.0 oz Mosaic – 60min
2.0 oz Mosaic – 5 min
2.0 oz Mosaic – Flameout
3.0 oz Mosaic – Dry Hop

I mash at 150F. I also add 2 tbsp. of gypsum to all my IPA's during the mash. Very unscientific as I don't do any sort of water profile, but I have found that gypsum kicks my IPA's up a notch and 2 tbsp. seems to be the right amount for my brews.

And I use Wyeast 1272 for my yeast.

Super simple beer but its so damn good!!!

Last edited:
Alright dude I'm going with your recipe even though you're a fan of the school up north... Did you do a starter on your yeast by any chance?

Good luck in the tournament! We may see each other again if we can get past Gonzaga which I highly doubt.

one more question, what temperature did you ferment at? Did you go on the low end to get the citrusy flavor or did you ferment at higher temperatures to get the fruity flavor?

Sorry, I was out of town coaching swimming all weekend and did not get to my computer.

I love me some hops. I've never had a Founders Golden Promise so I can't say I have a comparison, but I really like my version. I make a NE IPA that I use 15 oz of hops total!!!

I do not make a starter when I use Wyeast. I feel like the smack packs have enough viable yeast to do the job. I know some think its a major faux pas to not do a starter, but I haven't found it necessary when I'm not brewing a high gravity beer.

As for fermenting temps, I don't have any way to control the temps but I try to ferment on the cooler side. My basement is where I usually let my fermenting take place and that's usually around 65F or so. I bring it upstairs for the last few days after dry hopping to bring it up to around 70 or so.

PS, sorry about your Buckeyes losing out to the Zags. Although, I must say, seeing Sparty go down as well as Michigan's buzzer beater made it a pretty nice weekend for us Michigan fans indeed!

Okay so I brewed your recipe on Tuesday and for whatever reason it's already done fermenting. My OG was 1.058 and I'm already down to 1.013. There is no airlock activity and the krausen has almost completely disappeared... in 3 days. I used a Yeast Starter so perhaps that's why?

Back