Founders KBS (is it worth the cost)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KBS is made form a blend of different bourbon barrels. Also, they sample each barrel of KBS while before bottling for QC and blend the barrels they think will be best for the flavor they want. There is more variability between years with KBS than with non-barrel beers due to the variability of the barrels. (Although the same kind of thing can happen with hops, I suppose.)

I found this year's to be good, but it's not as strong as last year's, and I kind of like the more boozy flavor of last year's. The KBS clone my club made was even more boozy than any KBS I have had. Even after a year in the barrel it's still hot. I've got nearly 10 gallons worth of bottles aging. (Reminds me the wife wants them out of the living room. Should try and move them tonight. Not sure where yet.)

KBS is made form a blend of different bourbon barrels. Also, they sample each barrel of KBS while before bottling for QC and blend the barrels they think will be best for the flavor they want. There is more variability between years with KBS than with non-barrel beers due to the variability of the barrels. (Although the same kind of thing can happen with hops, I suppose.)

I found this year's to be good, but it's not as strong as last year's, and I kind of like the more boozy flavor of last year's. The KBS clone my club made was even more boozy than any KBS I have had. Even after a year in the barrel it's still hot. I've got nearly 10 gallons worth of bottles aging. (Reminds me the wife wants them out of the living room. Should try and move them tonight. Not sure where yet.)

Just curious, why is your club's version hot? Is it the bourbon (too much?) or fermentation related? And, which recipe did yall use? I'm thinking about making one, so I'm wondering about the recipe and if there are any recommended adjustments. Thanks.

I'm sad! I remember when, back in the day. I could grab a few four packs for 12-14 and drink em like pigs at a Bears packers tailgate party. Sighhhhh

Local wine/beer/cheese shop sent out an email this morning saying they had it. Even at 2 to a customer, the beer guy said their allotment was gone in 30 minutes.

Total Wine nearby had maybe 20 this evening. 2 per customer.

I really like it. Do I think it is worth $22 a 4 pack, no. Do I still buy it, yes. I wish it was just a little cheaper. $18 would be fine. I understand barrel aging takes up warehouse space which costs money but I think the hype drives the price up a few bucks a 4 pack.

If you like this you should try Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout. It is much cheaper. I like KBS more but SMS is similar enough. Side by side I can tell the difference. I'm not sure I would be able to if I had either alone. If you gave me SMS and said it was KBS, I'd probably believe you.

I really like it. Do I think it is worth $22 a 4 pack, no. Do I still buy it, yes. I wish it was just a little cheaper. $18 would be fine. I understand barrel aging takes up warehouse space which costs money but I think the hype drives the price up a few bucks a 4 pack.

If you like this you should try Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout. It is much cheaper. I like KBS more but SMS is similar enough. Side by side I can tell the difference. I'm not sure I would be able to if I had either alone. If you gave me SMS and said it was KBS, I'd probably believe you.

I love SMS and frankly think it's better although it's weird this year SMS went up to 12.7% and kbs went down to 11.5% which is what SMS was last year. I agree their very similar beers and SMS is so undaerated I got about a case of it no prob but then again kbs being Mi based its harder to get in my own state than SMS. So shhhh on the SMS and founders is starting to gouge which I'm not a fan of, I mean last year I got 4 packs of kbs for 18-20$ now this year it's 8$ singles or 25$ 4 packs and I can't see why they upped the price with more alleged kbs being made, it's a supply and demand and their def capitalizing on the demand which I understand but am not cool with.

I'm all about trying all these hyped up beers as long as i don't pay a crazy amount, have to drive far to get it, or wait in line. I don't really need a 4/6er or anything. I just want a tasting or 1 bottle.

Helps keep your brewing game strong.

I used to work at a liquor store and I can tell you that hype has tons to do with it. We used to move lots of high dollar beer and the main reason was because "it was the thing to be drinking". If any commercial brewers are listening to this. Market the crap out of your beer. Put the flashy label on it. People like being trendy. Make the new trend your beer and you will sell it.

I love SMS and frankly think it's better although it's weird this year SMS went up to 12.7% and kbs went down to 11.5% which is what SMS was last year. I agree their very similar beers and SMS is so undaerated I got about a case of it no prob but then again kbs being Mi based its harder to get in my own state than SMS. So shhhh on the SMS and founders is starting to gouge which I'm not a fan of, I mean last year I got 4 packs of kbs for 18-20$ now this year it's 8$ singles or 25$ 4 packs and I can't see why they upped the price with more alleged kbs being made, it's a supply and demand and their def capitalizing on the demand which I understand but am not cool with.

The price only changed at your liquor store. Founders did not change the wholesale price. I bought my 4pk's at $20, the same as many years, and the 750ml's at $18.99. The gouging is the man smiling at you as you are willing paying him through the teeth because he has something you want. :mug:

I just bought a couple 4 packs, two different stores.
18.99 ea. with Club Bev discount.

Brick Haus you lucky devil.
I suppose i will look around for it in my area after posting this. I managed to find some sunday morning stout and even jackie o's barrel aged dark apparition. So if the Price isnt right, ill let someone else get some kbs this year.
Speaking of KBS, does anyone know about CBS? is it a brewpub only sorta thing at Founders?

Had a bottle of 2017 KBS last night, wasn't blown away. It was certainly enjoyable (lots of coffee and vanilla), but I didn't really get a ton of bourbon notes. Admittedly, this is my favorite aspect of these types of beers, so that may have influenced my opinion.

The price per bottle isn't that bad when you consider what other well-distributed, big names charge (e.g. Avery, FW) for their barrel aged offerings.

Splurging on something you enjoy every now and then is one of Life's Greatest Pleasures!!!! Most folks who would ridicule paying $25 bucks for a 4 pack of good beer wouldn't think twice about dropping $25 bucks for a steak at a restaurant, plopping down $35 bucks at the country Club for 18 holes of golf or $100 bucks for two dozen roses for their significant other for Valentines Day. I wouldn't hesitate..... Buy the Dang Beer!!!! :mug:

I will buy random bottles like this occasionally with sharing them in mind and generally they are worth it.

I would easily pay for a $6 a bottle for this without flinching. Now paying $5-$6 a pint for 90% of the beer at local craft breweries that is where I struggle.

Brick Haus you lucky devil.
I suppose i will look around for it in my area after posting this. I managed to find some sunday morning stout and even jackie o's barrel aged dark apparition. So if the Price isnt right, ill let someone else get some kbs this year.
Speaking of KBS, does anyone know about CBS? is it a brewpub only sorta thing at Founders?

CBS has only been released once. They may or may not brew some for limited kegging as some will show up occasionally in the tap room or random bars around Michigan.
Rumors of course are flying with the barrel aged series that it will be included this year. Time will tell

The price only changed at your liquor store. Founders did not change the wholesale price. I bought my 4pk's at $20, the same as many years, and the 750ml's at $18.99. The gouging is the man smiling at you as you are willing paying him through the teeth because he has something you want. :mug:

It must be my whole area than not just one store as I went to multiple stores to get what I could and they were all the same price, 7.50-8$ singles, 25$ 4 packs and 22$ bombers.

Limits by me are 1 bottle of either size. $10 for small $22 for big. Almost all sold out by first day..

Because, uh, the OP asked a question. Are only people telling him that's worth the cost allowed to, uh, answer?

Ok, but the OP said that he's in a bottle shop, implying that he thinks that at least some commercial beer is worth purchasing. He was asking about one particular beer. He also posted a few days ago stating that he decided that it is worth a try and that he bought some.

If the question was "is any commercial beer worth purchasing?" your answer would be appropriate. As posted, you appear to be trolling him.

Ok, but the OP said that he's in a bottle shop, implying that he thinks that at least some commercial beer is worth purchasing. He was asking about one particular beer. He also posted a few days ago stating that he decided that it is worth a try and that he bought some.

If the question was "is any commercial beer worth purchasing?" your answer would be appropriate. As posted, you appear to be trolling him.

Give the guy a break. He was answering the original question, he is not a troll "Local beverage store is selling 4 packs of Founders KBS for $25 (plus tax) and single bottles of 2016 for $9.99. Never had any KBS i am curious to try, but don't know if it is worth the price. Do I pull the trigger?"

I wasn't going to post, but since I felt you were being unreasonable I am now, and I agree with him; Founders is gouging the public with this price ... because it can, and I personally would not buy it for this price from a regular store.

Founders is gouging the public with this price ... because it can, and I personally would not buy it for this price from a regular store.

Yes it's expensive, but it's expensive to make. A TON of malt, expensive chocolate. Expensive coffee. And aged for a year in barrels, in an old mine under Grand Rapids. There is a lot of labor involved in handling the barrels and transferring the beer, blending it, etc.

I personally think it's worth the price, but only as a treat. That's all it was meant to be. Nobody is going to drink this every day even if it were half the price.

It's also not terribly difficult to emulate at home if you care to spend money on ingredients and take the time to age it. The recipe is easy to find.

I decided to try a bottle and it was my favorite out of 2015 - 2017. Good enough I might grab one more bottle because it wasn't selling fast here.

Drank a kbs last night. I was gonna drink a kbs tonight. Looked in my storage area, and grabbed a Prairie Bomb instead. I'd forgotten how much I love PB's.

The kbs is more tame this year. It's still great, just not amazing. I don't know why. Maybe just me...

:(

Drank a kbs last night. I was gonna drink a kbs tonight. Looked in my storage area, and grabbed a Prairie Bomb instead. I'd forgotten how much I love PB's.

The kbs is more tame this year. It's still great, just not amazing. I don't know why. Maybe just me...

:(

Founders stated that due to the differences in the barrels this year, there is a more subdued barrel flavor and the ABV is not as high as it was the last couple of years. Not sure if the barrels they used were more aged, or they just used barrel from bourbon that are more mellow.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/2017/03/14/founders-kbs-2017-release/99157972/

Today is the first time i've been able to try KBS. A coworker was given two bottles from someone he knows who works in a liquor store, funny thing is my coworker doesn't like stouts, he gave me one. To pay him back I figured I would buy him his favorite, Belgian Tripple. When I went to have it rang up the women behind the counter said to me, "you don't want any of that KBS?" I said, if you have it i'll take it. I ended up with two 750ml bottles, in addition to the 12oz bottle from my coworker.

Just cracked the 12oz bottle, and yeah it's pretty good. Not sure that it lives up to the hype, but it is very tasty.

A little less boozy than usual this year.

I had a Backwoods Bastard last night as I watched Rick and Morty and planted seed starters. Good beer too. Not as roasty as the RIS.

A little less boozy than usual this year.

I had a Backwoods Bastard last night as I watched Rick and Morty and planted seed starters. Good beer too. Not as roasty as the RIS.

Great beer, great show!

If you've never had then get one bottle if you're lucky enough to find it. Typically the day it hits the stores it's gone in less than an hour.

Back