found the motherload

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
So a while back I mentioned that I found a golding vine that was part of a hop farm in the early 1900's. A rhizome from that plant has given me a nice 20 foot plant over the summer. Since its harvesting time, I decided to go back to the original vine. HOLY CRAP. They hadn't been picked in about 100 years so there were hops as long as my hand and MILLIONS of them. I picked what I could of the ripe ones and spent about 2 hours filling a garbage bag 1/3 of the way up (about 5 pounds). That was just the mature ones. In about 2 weeks I'll be able to fill AT LEAST 1 1/2 garbage bags full. Im talking about the heavy duty garbage bags. My house is pungent with the smell of hops:drunk:. Its AMAZING. Im gonna be stocked for years. Just thought I'd share my story.:mug::ban::rockin:

My neighbor's grandfather grew hops and there are many plants still around ... intermingled with the Himalayan blackberries. He has no idea what they are though, but the age makes the list of possibilities short. The cones are small and a pain to pick. Made an American Light Hybrid with some fresh hops last year. Worked out, so I might do a batch this year.

Back