Found Possible Large Fermentation Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtf3456

Reaction score
I found a bucket that could possibly be used to ferment. It's about 8.5 to 9 gallons. It has a lid that fits on extremely tight also. It's Been sitting In storage inside for about 3 years with nothing in it, with lid set on top loosely. However I am probably going out on a limb thinking I'll actually be able to use it. It was for some highly concentrated full laundy detergent.

Ingredients: oxygen based bleaching agent, phosphates 15-30% , non ionic surfaces 5-15%, anionic surfaces, soap, phosphates less than 5% ,
additional ingredients: carbonates, silicates, bleaching activators, fragrances, optical brighteners.

Sounds like it could possibly be very dangerous, however, I am not all that sure.

Would I be able to use this after I cleaned it vigorously and soaked it a few times.

What do you guys think?

The thing with buckets is they are plastic. Plastic scratches very easily. Any scratch can house bacteria and dried soap residue. That is why buckets and such need to be replaced periodically. Obviously, it is your beer, but if $20 is to expensive for a new bucket, how pissed are you going to be if that $50 batch of beer goes bad because of the bucket. Just my thoughts.

Back