Fortified Blackberry wine(port) yeast no go

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Wyatt

Reaction score
We are making a highly concentrated blackberry wine. We used 4 3/4 liters of juice(16 1/2 lbs) of berries and then added 2 cups of sugar to get a brix of 22. Added 1/2 tsp of K Metabisulphite and stirred. added 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme. Brix 22 SG 1.094. Hydrated the yeast(it seemed sluggish). Added the yeast starter + nutrient - stirred- put on lid and airlock left for 15 hours and nothing. Added 1/2 tsp of nutrient and now 24 hrs later nothing. One of the places we go to suggested that you should not hydrate your yeast but apply dry on top - never fails - EC1118 Lavlan - tried that last night and now still nothing. Any ideas.

If you pitched your yeast within 24 hours of the sulfite, you may have shocked the yeast. Not usually a problem with black berries, but if the ph is too low at the beginning, the yeast may have a hard time getting started.

Planning a similar blackberry melomel/port strength mead but I have similar concerns about the sulfites. Something I find that works is soaking fruit in a bucket with a bit of pectin enzyme for a few days to a week then press. Usually add camden during soak while avoiding sulfites but that's my preference. Once you have your juice add your honey, aerate and add yeast and nutrients. If you have any other notes I would love to hear and help. Curiously following to figure out why it won't start.

Back