Forgot to take OG reading.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddpac87

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch last night and just checked the fermenter to see if there was any signs of fermentation yet, and boy was there. VERY active, good thing I used a blow off tube. Now, I assume the reason it started so quick was because I pitched a starter AND an extra vial of the yeast I was using (I wasn't sure if the starter worked correctly, and it was a fairly high gravity beer anyway, so I didn't think that would be too much yeast). As I was just thinking about all this to myself, I realized that I forgot to take an OG reading last night. Seeing as it is already so active, is it too late to take the reading now?

If it's an extract batch that you achieved the correct volume in your fermeter, then the OG of your beer is what the recipe or brewing software says it will be. Since you are not converting starch to sugar yourself, the gravity of your extract kit is what the extract was at the maltser, dilluted by the volume of water you used. It's already been calculated, and if you hit the correct volume, it is foolproof.

Yeah you've already got too much activity to take an OG.

I'd take your recipes and look for a calculator. I hardly ever use them, so hopefully someone will chime in with a good one.

In other words you add what extract or grains you used the amount and it will give you an approximate OG.

Just guestimate or use what your projected OG was supposed to be and accept the fact you won't know the exact ABV for this batch. But really, does it matter if its 4%, or 5%, or 6% as long as you like it?

Revvy is right. If it was extract, which I am guessing it is since you mentioned it was your first batch, you are fine.

It is impossivle to miss your OG with extract, unless you liquid volumes are way off.

Sit back, let your brew ferment and enjoy it when it is done.

Thanks for the help everyone! I think the volume is where it should be. I'm still over 5 gallons, but it should be pretty close to 5 after whatever I lose to trub/dry hopping.

I did the same thing on my first batch (extract). It was AWESOME! Now, since I only do extract I don't even bother with it. Congratz on your first batch!

Back