Forgot to stir priming sugar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdburnett

Reaction score
Dissolved priming sugar in 2 cups boiling water. Dumped in bottle bucket. Racked beer on it but never stirred. Bottled beer as normal. I'm thinking everything probably mixed just fine. Anyone ever do this?

Last time I did this, I had unequal carbonation in the bottles, but I never had one that didn't carbonate not one that gushed. Over time, they all usually even out, with some a little higher. Racking onto the sugar usually does a pretty good job by itself, but mixing helps.

Are you supposed to mix it in? I've never done that, I thought it would oxygenate the beer. I just pour the priming solution into the bottling bucket, and then rack the beer onto it, with end of the siphon at the bottom of the bucket to avoid splashing. I've never had a problem with bottle bombs or uncarbonated beer.

I've never stirred my priming sugar's, just rack right on top.

However I primed twice with honey and must not of gotten it dissolved completely. No bottle bombs, but the carbonation was uneven. All future honey priming will get a gentle stir before going into bottles.

I think you will be good as long as you added the sugar before racking.. might have issues if you racked and then added the priming solution. The vortex from the racking should be enough to mix the solution. I always give it a few turns with my paddle just to be "safe."

I primed and then racked it. I read in the directions to gently stir for 1 minute. I should be okay. Only my 3rd time bottling do thanks for the input folks!!

Ive never stirred, and never had a beer not carb. 5 gallons racked onto 2 cups of liquid with nearly identical viscosities is going to mix fine on it's own with the motion of racking.

Back