forgot to stir my sugar in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Home_alone1

Reaction score
Just bottled a 5 gallon batch of Saison, I poured the sugar water into the keg and racked onto it, i remember I poured the first bit into a cup to get rid of any residual sanitizer in the line of my bottling gun and it was sweet. Not thinking I proceeded to bottle a whole batch. is there any chance I'm not totally screwed here ?

If the sugar solution ( water + sugar ) was not properly mixed with the beer, you will get poor carbonation results, if any. You might experience carbonation in some, and total lack of in others.

Number the first 10 and last 10 bottles if they are still in somewhat of the position filled. It is possible the first bottles filled may have been over primed.

I rack to a bottling bucket. The end of the siphon tube is flat and curled at the bottom of the bucket. The circular movement created during racking mixes the priming solution. The sweet you tasted may have been a heavier mix of priming solution that was inside the dip tube and the rest of the beer is okay.

Ok , I know he bottles in order filled as I write on the cases . I’ll give it 2 weeks and pull the first few and the last few and give them a try . Luckily I put them in Champaign bottles so if they are over primed I shouldn’t have bottle bombs.

Ok , I know he bottles in order filled as I write on the cases . I’ll give it 2 weeks and pull the first few and the last few and give them a try . Luckily I put them in Champaign bottles so if they are over primed I shouldn’t have bottle bombs.

Take one of the first and one of the last to chill. Two weeks can be too short of time for natural carbonation to develop fully which would use up good beer prematurely. You just need to find out if there is a big difference in the carbonation level of two bottles. A big difference would indicate a problem. Check two more in another week if there is very little difference.

A Belgian style saison will be better with age.

It would be best to use some caution when handling the bottles - especially when opening them, just in case. Gloves, goggles, towel over the bottle - whatever works.

Back