Forgot to Stir My Bottling Bucket...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristotelian

Reaction score
Put my sugar solution in the bottom of the bucket, then siphoned the beer from the fermenter on top. Forgot to stir before bottling. Recipe for a mix of flat beers and bottle bombs, or RDWHAHB? Would it be worth rebottling the whole batch?

i never stir. If the siphon hose curled around the bottom of the bucket it creates a motion that will mix in the sugar solution.

I've done that... I do lots of questionable noob stuff actually. When I did it, everything turned out fine. Still, I'd maybe put the bottles into a plastic storage bin with a lid while they condition. I'd hate for you to see nothing but "hey, I do it all the time! Never had a problem!" only to come home from work one day to see beer suds escaping through your chimney and windows :p

Mail this batch to me. This is an important service I provide for the homebrew public. I do not charge a fee for my services, but donations are welcome. PM me for the mailing address. I'll let you know which ones were over, under, or correctly carbed.

As long as your racking tube curled around the bottom of the bottling bucket, you should be ok. This makes the beer swirl around as it fills the bottling bucket, slowly mixing the priming solution. I forget to stir a lot myself, & they come out fine.

I stir the primed beer in the bottling bucket before filling any bottles but I have forgotten to do so before. Most of the time, it is fine and goes completely unnoticed. I have had one batch in particular that was noticibly uneven in carb level. Enough so that I had to warn friends who I gave the beer away to (that they may gush when opened). All that I saw from that batch was some bottles gushed when opened but none of my 3rd / 4th / 5th use bottles exploded or leaked at all.

In all practicality, you should be fine. I used to forget to stir a lot (probably 10 batches or so) and I only really noticed this uneven carb level problem in one batch.

All in all RDWHAHB is probably the best advice in this case.

I just rack the beer right on top of the sugar solution and the only inconsistency I have ever noticed in carbonation was due to a few caps that didn't seal properly because I enlisted the help of the wrong assistant (i.e., completely unrelated to stir vs. no-stir). It'll be fine.

Back