forgot to mash out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishplague

Reaction score
Did my second ag batch yesterday, also my first porter. Problem is, I just realized that I never actually mashed out, I just recirculated my first running then, started sparging. I know that one of the purposes of the mash out is to stop starch degrading enzymes, is this gonna create a problem?

+1, completely correct. Your beer will be fine. This is also what happens when you mistake the sparge water temp to hit 162 (like I did yesterday), Brining the beer above 168 kills or denatures anything in it.

One impact it could have that I'd worry about is lowering your efficiency. Do you know what you had for that? Did you hit your OG? If those were fine, nothing to worry about. If you missed either of them, nothing to worry about meaning your beer will probably still be quite delicious!

Mash out raises the temperature and stops the enzymatic activity. The boil does the same thing. Your beer will be fine :)

I never mash out. I do batch sparge with hot water to get the grain bed to 168. But I've never noticed an advantage with efficiency back when I used to mash out. In fact I get better efficiency by NOT doing a mash out and using a larger volume of sparge water. Hence the reason I stopped. You'll be fine.

Thanks guys, I was a little worried, I did miss my og by about 6, I did boil right away, but I only boiled for one hour. I guess the extract brewer in me took over, how will this mishap effect my brew?

It likely won't at all. And 1 hr is a very common boil time. The boil "mashout" actually happens before the pot starts bubbling. You'll be fine.

One impact it could have that I'd worry about is lowering your efficiency. Do you know what you had for that? Did you hit your OG? If those were fine, nothing to worry about. If you missed either of them, nothing to worry about meaning your beer will probably still be quite delicious!

Sorry Barleyhole, this is incorrect. The mashout will stop conversion. Neglecting to do the mashout lets it convert longer, thus leading to a possible increase in efficiency.

I have noticed that the mashout tends to help keep your FG higher and less chance of the beer drying out.

You do not NEED a mashout. Some brewers never do it, some do it for certain beers, some do it for everything...personal choice.

I never mash out. I do batch sparge with hot water to get the grain bed to 168. But I've never noticed an advantage with efficiency back when I used to mash out. In fact I get better efficiency by NOT doing a mash out and using a larger volume of sparge water. Hence the reason I stopped. You'll be fine.

Same here, I never mash out anymore.

Me too,batch sparge with 180 water and I dont mashout.

That's about what my brew day consists of too...batch sparging with water pushing 180. I've never done a true "mash out" and have always (well, 1 or 2 exceptions) thoroughly enjoyed the beers...

Back