Forgot to make a starter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrman13

Reaction score
Oops! I'm mashing for a porter right now with a projected OG of 1.085 and I forgot to make a starter last night! I'll be using WLP004 for the batch which recommends a starter for anything over 1.070. I'm whipping up a starter right now anyway, but I have a couple options as I see it. Would it work if I used half the vial of yeast in the starter and pitch half directly into the wort? Or should I use the whole vial in my starter and delay the boil until tomorrow morning hoping that the starter will be ready to go after about 20 hours?

Or could I just make the full starter and pitch it late tonight? I'm not sure if it would be effective enough by then.

Any quick help is much appreciated!

Pitch it all into the starter. At the very least it will wake the yeast up. Most of the growth will be done by 12 hours so that would be an ideal time to pitch.

Thanks guys! I think I'll take your advice on this one. I'm continuing with my brew as normal and I'll probably let my wort sit for a little while and pitch my starter before I go to bed. This should give the starter about 8 hours to get working.

Back