Forgot to aerate before pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first couple batches, I just dumped straight from brew pot to fermenter (trub and everything), pitched and capped it. I didn't know any better, they still fermented great, I just had a lot of s%$# at the bottom of every bottle.

I've aerated after pitching, even several times (every six hours) in the case of a big beer.

Am I suppsoed to aerate BEFORE pitching? I usually pitch the yeast and the shake the $#*% out of it.

It's one of those things that some folks don't even do, especially when starting out, and they hadn't even heard of aerating it, and yet their beer turns out fine. The bigger concern was you not making a starter for your liquid yeast. It's really a good idea to do it for any beer over 1.020.

But remember it's really hard to "hose" your beer.

Am I suppsoed to aerate BEFORE pitching? I usually pitch the yeast and the shake the $#*% out of it.

Doesn't really matter. Ideally you want the wort well-aerated when the yeast is pitched, but if you pitch and then aerate immediately that's basically the same thing (if you waited an hour or more that might be worse, though still better than not aerating at all unless fermentation was done or nearly so; you don't want any oxygen left in the beer when fermentation ends).

was it dry or liqued yeast? I read (and someone yell at me if I'm wrong) but you don't need to aerate for dry yeast.

The reason you aerate is to give the yeast O2, which they need to reproduce. If you pitch a large enough starter (or dry yeast) then you shouldn't even need to aerate at all.

That being said, I still do it just to be on the safe side.

Is it a bad thing to stir the wort with a paddle right after you add the yeast? I do that every now and then because I forget to do it before hand but I haven't noticed any ill effects from it. I basically pitch the yeast, realize I haven't aerated it yet then stir like mad til I'm tired. The yeast doesn't get a chance to start fermenting so I assume it's ok.

Some dry yeast instructions say specifically to NOT stir after pitching yeast and to just sprinkle it on the surface, but for the life of me I can't think of why it would be a bad thing.

Aeration is to help with the reproduction phase of the yeast. If you make a starter, then you're doing that in advance of pitching anyway.

I have the equipment to aerate but I only do it on batches with a high gravity now like an imperial ale etc..anything north of 1.06...pitch an assload of yeast starter as well

I have been using US-05 mostly and I rehydrate in cooled boiled water for an hour or so. Then I pour it into the fermented and shake that thing for about 3-4 mintiest. Until foamy. It that an acceptable process?

Latest posts

Back