Forgot to add the 2 row barley malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatmarmot

Reaction score
I just started setting up to bottle a Nut Brown Ale I brewed 12 days ago and discovered, hidden in my box of supplies, the 1oz pack of Cr. Roasted Barley malt that clearly didn't make it into the wort. Any suggestions.

When I did a gravity check a few days ago I gave it a taste and it was a little bland.

At this point, just chalk it up to experience and proceed. Don't worry about the bland flavor right now, it will be different after bottle conditioning.

That one oz of roasted barley would add a bit of color and flavor, but 1 oz is pretty small.

It's probably just roasted UNmalted barley. It's usually used in stouts - it gives Guiness it's charcoaly taste. Your brown will be fine - better IMO. If it were 2-row you would have added a lot more than an ounce. As for the blandness, not much you can do, unless you want to dry-hop it in the secondary. Most likely it will taste better after the yeast eats most of the sugar so you can taste the hops - wort usually tastes like sweetened tea.

Thanks everyone. I bottled the 5 gallon batch and left a little to taste. I think it will come out pretty good after all.

Back