Forgot the priming sugar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnojohnson

Reaction score
Well crap,

I have a Saison I was very proud of, fermented with the dregs from a bottle of Oddwood Saison (has Belgain Sach yeast & Brett) over the past 6 months. I bottled it 8 days ago with some champagne yeast.... but no priming sugar. Epic fail. Just completely forgot. The beer was at 1.004 when I bottled. I had planned to use 5g of table sugar based on Tonsmiere's calculator: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2014/07/priming-barrel-aged-and-blended-sour.html

What should I do? Anything I can do?

No problem. Open each bottle, add sugar, and recap. Added sugar could be a syringe with sugar solution, or may be easier to use carb drops. I have not done either, so I leave it to others to add details based on experience.

Fermentation tabs should work, make sure you have extra caps. You could measure and add sugar, but that is tedious.

Use Domino Dots sugar cubes (they are smaller than most and will fit in a beer bottle), but I think they are only 2.3 grams each, so you'll need two.

Or get a tiny funnel and measure a teaspoon of granulated sugar into each bottle.

What size bottles are we talking about? 5 grams is a lot for 12 oz.

He meant 5 oz?

Good point though. as long you are doing this, you might as well get it right. Carb your Saison to 3.0 volumes, not 2.2 or 2.5. This probably requires more than 5 oz. Check your calculator.

He meant 5 oz?

Good point though. as long you are doing this, you might as well get it right. Carb your Saison to 3.0 volumes, not 2.2 or 2.5. This probably requires more than 5 oz. Check your calculator.

I did mean 5oz thanks. And for the reminder to bump the volumes needed for a saison. I'll go recheck all the factors I used in my calculations.
My bottles are 22oz so hopefully it will work out that I can use a certain whole number of drops per bottle.
Thanks for the replies.

Incidentally, does anyone know how much residual CO2 drop you could expect in a glass carboy for 6 months?

I would use your calculator and enter the highest temperature you think that carboy has reached post-fermentation. If your calculator cannot calculate residual CO2, then send the site a nasty-gram and use the brewers friend calculator instead.

If your calculator cannot calculate residual CO2, then send the site a nasty-gram and use the brewers friend calculator instead.
I was thinking more of additional loss of CO2 due to aging rather than that based on the max temp. The calculator I referenced at madfermentationist.com drops the residual CO2 by half if you've barrel aged. Doubt it would be significant in my case though.

Anyhow, looks like the drops will probably work well for me. I want to stay at around 2.5 vols of CO2 which sets me needing about 4.9g/22oz. 2 drops should get pretty close.

I was thinking more of additional loss of CO2 due to aging rather than that based on the max temp. The calculator I referenced at madfermentationist.com drops the residual CO2 by half if you've barrel aged. Doubt it would be significant in my case though.

I also doubt there would be a significant effect on residual CO2 by aging in a Brett/Sacc beer glass carboy over 6 months. During the 6 months the beer has been aging the Brett has likely continued to produce small amounts of CO2, keeping the gas in the beer at equilibrium relative to the temperature it has been aging.

another option: put 100 grams of sugar in a measuring cup, top with water up until you're at 200 ml total, and you now have a 0.5 gr/ml solution. figure out how many grams of sugar you need per bottle using a calculator and twice as much solution. to get 8 grams of sugar, add 16 ml. eyedroppers and graduated syringes are useful for doing this quickly.

Latest posts

Back