Forgot the OG! :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbsoZed

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm new here, (Obviously), and started my first batch of mead the other day. I totally forgot to take an OG, and now I can't estimate the ABV when it's over. You think you could help me out? What are the usual gravities of sweeter meads? My ingredients were as follows:

.75Gal Water
3LBs Honey
1 Quart Pomegranate/Blueberry Juice
1 cup sugar (I just added this because it was suggested to me elsewhere.)

Thanks!

Fleischmann's Active Dry. I know it isn't the best choice, but it's what I had.

0.75 gal water + 0.25 gal juice
1 cup table sugar
Assuming the juice has somewhere around ~120 grams of sugar in the entire container (~30g per 8 oz or 1 cup serving)
3 lbs honey

1 gallon batch = 1.138 OG

You are officially my hero.

Edit: Could you tell me how you came by this number? I've got another recipe of another variety that I'd like to apply that to.

I have BeerSmith 2.

Converted 1 cup sugar to 7.9 oz.

I make Apfelwein and know from my own experiences, most juice tends to have around 28-30g of sugar per 8 fl oz.

Honey is a fermentable already coded into BeerSmith.

Told it the batch used 1 gallon of water.

Grains menu.

Here's the bsm file.

Download this, then double click on the bsm file. It'll open BeerSmith and open a separate tab - you'll see it says "Blueberry Pomegranate Mead".

Drag and drop it into "My Recipes" on the left. You'll see the number beside it increase by 1.

Close the now-empty blue_pom_mead tab and tell it "No" when it asks if you want to save.

View attachment blue_pom_mead.bsmx

Back