Forgot Some Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick986

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, actually most. Brewed a 7 gal Old Ale yesterday, with two additions: 2.7oz Fuggles at 90min, and 2.9oz Fuggles at 10min. When going to the freezer this morning, I found 4oz Fuggles still there,and realized I measured out the fractional parts of the additions, forgetting to pull out the rest.

Once fermentation is complete, I will be racking and bulk aging for about a year. So, is there a way to salvage the hop additions?

My first thought is to dry hop them all, possibly 1 addition at high crausen, then another at the end of primary. Second thought, leave as is.

Another option would be to boil yourself a hop tea, using the same schedule as you would have in the boil, and add that to the primary. I never tried this but the logic is sound at least.

My first thought is to dry hop them all, possibly 1 addition at high crausen, then another at the end of primary. Second thought, leave as is.
Hops that are boiled give the beer the bittering that it needs to balance the sweetness. Dry hopping won't give any appreciable bitterness, just aroma. Make hop tea with some of the beer and boil it for an hour or a little less. Your 2 ounces of Fuggles that were to have been boiled for 90 minutes will be close to what you want. If you want you can add the other 2 ounces at the 10 minute mark for the flavoring.

Hops that are boiled give the beer the bittering that it needs to balance the sweetness. Dry hopping won't give any appreciable bitterness, just aroma. Make hop tea with some of the beer and boil it for an hour or a little less. Your 2 ounces of Fuggles that were to have been boiled for 90 minutes will be close to what you want. If you want you can add the other 2 ounces at the 10 minute mark for the flavoring.
I had though of a hop tea, however, seen mixed reviews on how it worked out. I had not thought about taking some beer out and re-boiling. How much would you suggest, one gallon or less enough? Or, maybe a small starter, I have a small amount of headroom in my fermenter.

Another possibility I forgot about is hop extract. I have not used before, and per the instructions is need to be added to the boil. My thought, boil it in a small amount of water to sterilize, and loosen, then add to primary. Does anyone have experience with the product, or know if this would work or not?

I had though of a hop tea, however, seen mixed reviews on how it worked out. I had not thought about taking some beer out and re-boiling. How much would you suggest, one gallon or less enough? Or, maybe a small starter, I have a small amount of headroom in my fermenter.
I'm just guessing but were it me I might use half a gallon. I found an old thread on making hop tea for bittering.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/hop-tea-for-bittering-advice.463183/

I’d boil them with some dme for an hour and add to the fermenter.

Well actually I’d probably pull a liter or 2 of beer out of the fermenter, boil them in that, and then put it back. It’s a fairly low risk as long as you sanitize.

Keep in mind that hop presence fades and you're aging this for a year. Maybe using all the hops planned wouldn't make much difference in this case.

Decided to try a hop "tea." Boiled 6 cups water, 2oz at 18min and 2oz at 10min. I went back and forth on adding DME, and eventually decided to go with none, to keep it simple. We'll have to wait and see how it comes out now...

Latest posts

Back