Forgot Part Of My Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnewb1

Reaction score
Hey Guys. This is the second time I'm posting because I messed something up. Luckily brews in between these posts have been successful, so I'm not a total failure!

Anyway, I bought an Oatmeal Stout kit from my LHBS. In my haste to get brewing I didn't take everything out of the box and only used the 3.3lbs Dark Liquid Malt Extract, and forgot the 1lb Pilsen Dry Malt Extract. Obviously this will have a pretty profound effect on the final product, but is it going to be undrinkable? What kind of style will this end up turning into?

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Some sort of a mild most likely. By not adding the DME you are losing 0.007. So a 5 gallon batch w the LME only you are looking at 1.024, ABV of 2.3%, but adding the DME will give you a 1.033, ABV of 3.2%, If you brew a half sized batch 2-1/2 gallon, you will get a 1.066 at ABV 6.3%.
There are Oatmeal Milds around, I have brewed a couple in the past

What size batch? I don't think that's too big of a mistake (not "profound"). What else was in the kit? It sounds like a 3 gallon recipe. If you got everything else in, it should be fine. Just less alcohol and prob not as dry as it should be.

1 can of extract should make 2.5 gallons of a session beer.

Nope sorry should have clarified. It was a partial mash 5-gallon recipe. So it also had:

1.5lbs American 6-row
10oz Golden Naked Oats
8oz Black Patent
8oz Carafa Special II
8oz CaraMunichIII
4oz Extra Dark Crystal

I guess now that I look at it that way, the dry malt was a small part of the total equation, so hopefully you guys are right and that it's not too big of a mistake.

Yeah it should be fine, just slightly lower ABV than planned is all. I'm sure you'll still manage to find a way to enjoy it :mug:

Is it just less ABV, or do you think you'll get more of a punch from the hops and specialty grains as well (not saying that will necessarily be a bad thing if they're balanced per the recipe, just curious about the effect of normal amounts of those per a smaller ABV)

Did they tell you it's a partial mash recipe? The naked oats and 6-row grains need to be mashed together, not steeped. Actually the oats should be cooked (gelatinized) first, before the mash.

You could still dissolve the Pilsner DME in a bit of boiling water* and add the thick heavy wort to your fermentor, if it has enough room.

* A pint to a quart should do it.

Back