Forgot 45 min hop addition Pliny Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIAKillerXJ

Reaction score
Ordered up Farmhouse's Pliny Pack, and brewed up yesterday.

Recipe calls for a 90, 45, 30, and 0 minute additions.

Somehow I missed the 45 minute pack in the refrigerator.

I'm afraid I'm going to end up with a really sweet beer. Is there anything I can do to help fix this, or should I just forget about it?

I have a beer I make that is based on pliny, I skip that addition totally. There is enough columbus in that first addition, it will certainly not be sweet

the only thing i can think of would be to make a hop tea, then add it to the brew. you could start with a quart of water and boil it down to a pint or less, cool it, then add it to the beer.

there is nothing scientific about that, but it would add some IBU's to your beer.

I had thought of doing a hop tea of sorts...and I had also considered not worrying and having a brew..... decisions...

Have you run it through any software to get a sense of what your ballpark IBU figure might be, or your BG:GU ratio? Might calm your concerns, at the least.

Unless it exacerbates them, I guess

I suspect you will never taste the difference in terms of IBUs. The first addition in that recipe takes your bitterness to the maximum perceivable limit. Everything after that is for flavor, aroma, and possibly mouthfeel. With all the late additions and dry hopping, I'm not sure I would notice the difference in the finished beer.

I had thought of doing a hop tea of sorts...and I had also considered not worrying and having a brew..... decisions...
Forget the hop tea and dub it Pliny the Withhelder; since you withheld the 45 minute addition.

It's about 20 hypothetical IBU difference on a beer with 200+ calculated IBU. I wouldn't blink an eye. RDWHAHB

I share the sentiments above and then toss that pack at flameout or dry hop into your next big IPA.

I have the two of the pliny packs waiting to brew and have thought about moving that 45 min addition to 15 or 10 anyway.

cool. Guess I'll just toss back a homebrew and not worry to much about it.

This was my second AG batch, and hit everything perfect numbers wise, and trying really hard to make an awesome pliny clone since I love the real thing so much. Kicked myself hard this morning when I moved the two dry hops packs and the 45 min dropped out. DOH!

So maybe not the perfect pliny, but hopefully a really good IPA nonetheless. And the way fermentation is going, hopefully hitting 1010 wont be a problem; its going crazy!

Back