Forever fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmantzey

Reaction score
I've got a Lager that has been in the fermenter for a LONG time. I made the mistake of transferring it into the secondary (glass) before it was finished fermenting.

We all have to learn somehow. Unfortunately, the most effective way of learning is by screwing up. I figured there was enough active yeast within the volume of beer to keep it going, but it slowed down to almost nothing.

Since then, I've had it going for over a month now. I did a diacetyl rest to help stimulate the yeast and it did pick it up a little bit. I do keep a close eye on it and every time I do, I can see that pressure is still building up in the fermenter and when I look at the very light lager, I can see CO2 rising up. A very small amount of yeast is accumulating in the bottom. (I guess proportionally as much as you'd get in the bottom of a bottle.)

I have been monitoring the gravity and it has been going down at a rate of about 1 to 2 points per week, but the last time I checked it, it hadn't changed a whole lot (maybe .5 points hard telling). The gravity is still about 6 points heavy and it does taste a little bit sweet still.

I got another pack of yeast and it's been sitting in its starter for long enough now. It's the same kind of yeast and I used basic priming sugar for the starter. The question I have is, would it be a bad idea to add the extra yeast to pick up the pace and finish up the fermentation? Why?

I just got a brand new pair of corny kegs and I was planning on kegging it but, I just found out I'll be relocating for at least 6 months, possibly longer, possibly permanently, so I'm going to have to just bottle it. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!

What temperature do you have it at? What was your OG? From my understanding you want to do a diacetyl rest before you rack it off the yeast (I'm on my first lager too). The only thing I can think of is to warm it up and rouse the yeast maybe see if you can get them back into suspension. Maybe someone with more experience can chime it.

My OG was about where it should have been and I did do the diacetyl rest already to try to rouse it, it's just taking so long. I'm not trying to hurry it along, but I would like to have the fermenter available for another brew at least pretty soon. I mean, I have been waiting almost 2 months for this brew.

What are you using to judge that it is still fermenting? have you taken a FG reading? is it still dropping? or are you going on airlock bubbles? it could be outgassing CO2 from fermentation and is not actually fermenting anymore.

Well, the final gravity should be around 1.012 and it was at about 1.022. It still tastes a little bit sweet like it's not done. Also, the airlock is still active AND steadily for the past three weeks, it's had bubbles rising in it.

I'm pretty sure it's not done fermenting. The question I have is, if I add more yeast, would that be bad?

Sure. It's all-grain. Here's the recipe:

4oz 2.5°L German light crystal malt
2oz German munich malt
10.25lb German 2-row pilsner malt

Infusion mashed at about 150°F for 90 minutes.

.75oz Northern brewer hops for 90 min
.25oz Hersbrucker for 15 min
.5oz Czech Saaz for 10 min

Wyeast 2042

I used about 2 quarts of the wort for the starter.

If you have the "Clone Brews" book, it's the Grolsch Lager clone.

What would my thermometer have to do with it? Are you thinking there isn't enough fermentable sugar because the mash temp was off?

I actually use three different thermometers in the process, two are dial and one is digital. I'm still not satisfied with the readings I get but I don't think that's the problem here. As I said originally, the problem is, I transferred to the secondary before the primary fermentation was complete, leaving 98% of the yeast behind.

I just want to know, if I pitch more yeast, will it hurt anything? I've already started the yeast, so at this point it's a matter of pitch it or toss it.

I will see what I can do about making my temperature control more accurate, just in case that does have something to do with the problem. I've seen many different options out there. Any recommendations? Thanks a bunch!!

Back