Force (N) needed to cap a bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just found this text doing a google search, and thought it migth be of interess for some of you, written by "James". It is usefull for me.

I just bought a pneumatic piston, with a force of 3010 N at 6 Bar, so maybe i can run it around only 2 bars. The next month will show.

Here's the text:

I could not find this information to design a pneumatic bottle caper. The first cylinder I tried was under sized and did not work. The 2nd cylinder, 60mm bore diameter is working well. I have tried it at different pressures to give a general guide to the required force to press the cap.

Note should be taken that the pressure gauge I used was the small Chinese version that came on my inexpensive Black&Decker compressor, so they will not be exact.

From the tests:
* 2 Bar would not close the cap at all = 565N or 57kg
* 2.5 Bar closed it, but with some delay = 706N or 72kg
* 3 Bar closed a bit better, less delay = 848N or 86kg
It then improved only slightly every .5 Bar until it seemed to stay pretty much the same from 4.5 Bar up - 1272N or 130kg.

So for design purposes, I would recommend designing around 1300N

PS: I realise this thread is years old, but it comes up in the google search, so someone may find it useful. (Would have saved me having to try 2 cylinders.)
James · 12 months ago

Thank you James who ever you are.

All the best

Lars

Back