Force Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arog3000

Reaction score
I am force cardonating my second beer. The first one I turned the PSI to 25 and let sit for 48 hours. I backed the PSI down to 5 and it came it really good. I did this again for the second one but now I am hearing a lot of bubbling inside the keg. I have seen some things where you can shake the beer. Do I need to shake it?

Yes. I think everything is probably fine. I was just wondering if shaking it would be good to speed up the process even more.

You'll get carbonated beer either way but shaking it will speed up the process tremendously. I just force carbed with shaking for the first time. I hooked up my gas at 30 PSI to a cold keg, laid it on it's side, and did short, quick rolling motions until I didn't hear gas going in anymore. After that, I released the pressure and hooked it up at serving pressure. The beer was stirred up quite a bit (i.e. a few chunks) but it was fully carbonated in all of like 5 minutes.

Sweet! I just rolled it on my lap for a couple minutes and it is already stopped bubbling. I will try one tonight. Double IPA...should be great!!

If you employ the rolling method you can have a beer carbbed very close to appropriate levels in about a half hour.

There is significant risk for overcarbonation this way though and i've also often wondered about how this affects your beers head retention. As you shake it up, it stands to reason you're generating foam and everyone always says that "once the head generating proteins have done their job once, they're done" so it seems that this method should lead to reduced head on your beers as well.

Latest posts

Back