Force Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastings

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just brewed 5 gallons of a porter on Saturday. This Saturday will be a week so i want to carbonate it after I keg the beer.

My question is whats the best way to carbonate?(psi and how long)

Thanks

You are only going to let the beer sit in primary for 1 week and then keg? Most on here would recommend letting it sit in primary for 3 weeks. I brewed a robust porter in January and let mine sit for a month. It was delicious.

To answer your question. I let my porter sit at 30 psi for 36 hours, then backed off to around 8 psi.

Once you keg, I assume your system is similar to mine. My kegerator is 39 degrees. I set my regulator at 12 psi, and it's perfect in about 12-14 days.

alright il let it sit a little longer thanks
you left it at 8 psi?

Good decision. Rushing it will be satisfying in the moment, but your beer will taste so much better if you let it sit for 3 weeks. Everyone goes through the stage of wanting to rush every brew because to want to taste it so bad, but trust me its worth it.

If you are going to force carb you ramp it up to around 30 psi for 36 hours. Then you can back it off to whatever serving pressure you want. I'd say between 8 and 10 psi. Let it sit for another 3 to 6 hours and it should be good to go.

Good decision. Rushing it will be satisfying in the moment, but your beer will taste so much better if you let it sit for 3 weeks. Everyone goes through the stage of wanting to rush every brew because to want to taste it so bad, but trust me its worth it.

Yup, plus it will save you some skid marks in your undies.

_

Latest posts

Back